Part 1 - Call for Cover

(Y/N) = Your name
(F/C) = Favorite color
(F/E/D) = Favorite energy drink

~~~

'It's a nice day,' you decide.

Right now, you're kicking your feet back to relax a little in bed a few hours before your shift. Moments like this don't come easy to most people, and you aren't an exception. Usually, your mind is plagued with anxiety, worrying about the next thing you have to do or what you have to buy, but at the moment, it's just peaceful. 

All that's keeping your ears from ringing is the soft hum of your air conditioner blowing out chill wind. You don't think you'd have it any other way. Complete silence makes you panic from the emptiness, but too much noise just feels stuffy and overwhelming. This moment seems just right for you.

Well, that serenity is soon forgotten when your cellphone rings atop your nightstand. 

You can't help but groan in exasperation.

'Now?' you ask nobody in particular, slowly inching over to answer the call, 'Right now? I was having a good time doing nothing, y'know.'

Once you grab your phone and flip it to face you, you immediately recognize the name written on the screen. You purse your lips.

"Maybe some social interaction wouldn't be so bad," comes your barely audible mumble.

Swiping the green phone button, you hold the cell up to your ear. You make sure not to put it too close, though, as you're anticipating a very loud--

"(Y/N)!!"

You can't stop yourself from wincing and pulling the speaker away from your ringing eardrums.

'Called it.'

"(Y/N), oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, but I need a favor!" exclaims the panicked voice of your close friend. You kick the soft blankets off of your calves and sit upright, though you're left a little disoriented from getting up so fast.

"Calm down, Calvin," you say, rubbing your tired eyes, then pinching the bridge of your nose, "Just-- just take a second to breathe, alright?"

"Right, right," Calvin's voice crackles through the phone and you hear him taking a deep breath, and soon after, letting it out in a whistle-like 'whoosh'. After taking a few seconds to calm his nerves, your friend speaks again. "So, uh, (Y/N)... I hope I didn't make your ears hurt too bad."

"I've been your friend for long enough that I know to distance the phone from my ear," you joke, making Calvin laugh shortly on the other end of the line.

"Yeah, you're right. Still, sorry."

You shrug, then remember that he can't see it.

"It's okay, Cal. Anyway, what's the problem?"

"Oh, yeah, that." He huffs a curt breath, which comes through as a slight burst of staticky noise through your cell. "Uh, the thing is... my mom sorta, kinda... ended up in the hospital?"

"Oh, gosh, Calvin, I'm so sorry," you gasp, hand instinctively covering your mouth. You hear a slight shuffle of fabric from Calvin's end of the call. Must've shrugged or something.

"Yeah... and the thing is that I-- I really want to make sure she's good and stay with her for a bit, y'know?" He pauses to laugh nervously, then sighs. "I don't think I can cover the rest of my shift, is what I mean."

"Do you need me to cover you?" you ask him immediately. 

"I-- um, yeah, basically," he affirms after a slight pause, probably nodding, "Can you get here, say... eight o'clock?"