Part 14 - Karaoke Night Funkin' (5)

The song begins. It's actually rather slow-paced and laid back, at least compared to the songs that your friends sang prior to this. Colored haze follows every note that Garcello sings. Boyfriend's mimic of Garcello's pattern and rhythm is smooth, working well with his opponent's voice. Despite that, you can't help but hugely prefer Garcello's singing. 

His voice is gentle, a bit gravelly if you listen close enough, and sounds amazing for someone with a big smoking problem. Heck, if anything, he's got one of the best singing voices that you've ever heard. Maybe you're just biased, but dang, you swear you could simultaneously fall asleep and run a marathon to his singing. 

Annie and Hex were right-- Garcello is awesome.

But even with your enjoyment of the light show, that certain concerned tingling in your chest doesn't falter. You're not sure why. Garcello seems to be doing just fine right now... in fact, he looks bright and confident. He's been using cigarettes much less in recent days, so this one time shouldn't worry you so much. 

Everyone else is having the time of their lives. So why won't that nagging feeling go away?

Smoke starts to slowly gather around the room.

You cough into your elbow. The smog isn't extreme at all, but it is starting to make your eyes water. Nobody else seems to be all that bothered, though... maybe it's just you.

All is great for most of the song. Boyfriend seems to be really enjoying the match, Girlfriend is smiling just as usual, and Garcello seems to be oddly energetic. You consider that maybe you were overreacting... well, until you notice something's off. 

The previously light airy smoke is much heavier now, coating the room with a bitter scent. Others in the room begin to notice it too, as Ashlyn covers her mouth and nose with her sleeve. Additionally, you can see Garcello's posture faintly falter, shoulders falling and back slumping.

Thankfully, the song soon ends without a hitch. You and your friends break into a soft cheer. Garcello laughs, rubbing the back of his head.

"Thank you guys," he says with a grin on his face. Turning to Boyfriend, he continues, "That was pretty fun, little man. You've got some tight bars."

Boyfriend beams and beeps at Garcello. You sigh, a bit relieved at the song ending, but all that comes to a halt when Garcello tries to go back to his seat on the couch.

Boyfriend grabs him by the sleeve, and as soon as he has Garcello's attention, he shakes his microphone in his hand. Garcello pauses, confused.

"What's up, little man?"

"Bee bop!" he bounces on the balls of his feet. "Beep bo bi!"

"Um..." Garcello looks just a bit uncomfortable now. He shuffles his hands in his pockets. "Another round?"

Boyfriend nods frantically, at which Annie laughs. You, however, are more concerned with Garcello.

"I dunno," he says, hesitant. "I think I'm kinda tired. Why don't you sing with Hex again?"

"Beeeeeeeeeep!" Boyfriend pleads, tugging at Garcello's sleeve even more. 

With a soft chuckle, he sighs, seemingly deciding to give Boyfriend what he wants.

"Alright, little man," he relents. "One more round."

BF fistpumps and whoops, going back to stand in his spot.  Garcello follows close behind, taking his position. He lifts his cigarette back up to his mouth and inhales deeply.

Beads of sweat roll down his cheek. 

You can't help but fidget with the edges of your sleeves. Garcello looks considerably worse for wear than when he did at the beginning of the first song. You want to get up and stop the match, but... what if you just ruin the fun? Maybe nothing's even wrong and you're just being paranoid.