Part 20 - How the Tables Turn

You can't help but feel just a little worried when you don't get a call from Calvin. But, at that point, it's dark outside, and you have to sleep early if you're going to make it to your shift tomorrow. As you scramble into bed and turn on an alarm for the morning, you mentally note to check on Calvin as soon as possible. Just before passing out, though, you shoot him a quick text.

You: Hey, calvin... ik ur probably not up to talking right now, but when u have the time, tell me how it went, alr? ill cya tomorrow hopefully

And early that morning, your phone blasts a song that you find particularly annoying (simply because it's your ringtone for waking up), and you yawn, slumping out of bed. Exhaustion lingers in your eyes for a few minutes until you splash a handful of cold water on your face. Decently awake, you hurry out of your apartment and speed to work.

The morning's pretty slow. You switch in for the early shift and greet your coworker on their way out. A few regulars come and go, passing by for their daily nothings. And as the day progresses, you can't help but continue checking your phone.

...he hasn't read the text yet.

You're well aware of the frown that's souring your face as the bells above the door jingle. Blinking yourself out of a trance, you shove your phone into your pocket and look up to greet the customer. Instead, you find yourself shouting--

"--Calvin!"

He blinks at you brightly and smiles. A full, toothy grin, one that you were worried you weren't going to see from him in a while. 

"Dude, what happened?" you ask immediately, instinctively. "Why didn't you see my text? Did it go okay?"

"Oh-- crap, I'm sorry, (Y/N)!" Calvin squeaks. Rubbing the back of his neck, his demeanor turns sheepish and he continues, "I'm okay, I'm just-- um-- I didn't check my phone today, it was muted--"

"You good, Cal?"

He cuts himself off with a sharp sigh, carding a hand through tussled blonde hair. But he doesn't seem down at all... rather the opposite.

"Yeah, I'm..." He beams at you. "I'm great, actually."

"Oohhh..." you raise an eyebrow at your best friend, unable to stop a sly grin from forming on your lips. You lean forward. "What happened with Ash, Cal?"

Calvin laughs. Not at your question exactly, just a small bout of laughter, like he's unable to contain his mirth. You can't help but smile, finding his happiness contagious.

"Turns out, I had nothing to be worried about! She asked me to the park to um, tell me about her feelings and, uh..." He wrings his hands and a smile splits his face. He looks truly, purely giddy. "I told her I liked her a lot. And we ended up going on a date, and she stayed at my house for the night."

"Woah!" you're unable to help but gasp. Leaning forward on the counter, you cheer, "Way to go, Calvin! I'm so happy for you!"

"Thanks, man!" he exclaims, attempting to hug you over the front desk. It's a little awkward to do, but you can tell he's ecstatic even without a proper embrace. As he leans back, he sighs, seeming fully content. "Can't wait to tell my mom. She'll go nuts, you know?"

"Oh, dang, yeah," you snicker. Putting on your best 'Calvin's mom' impression with a hand to your chest, you chirp, "Ohhh, my sweet baby boy! My little honey muffin! All grown up with a lovely girl! When am I getting grandkids?"

"(Y/N)!!" Calvin whines, still smiling wide. You laugh as he shoves your shoulder. "That's so lame, quit it!"

"Ah, alright," you laugh softly. As you and Calvin settle down, you give him a meaningful look. "I do mean it, though. Congrats! You guys are really good for each other."