Part 19 - Sweet Tooth

(A/N)

Before going into this chapter...

Thank you all so so SO much for 20k reads and 700+ votes!! I honestly never expected to get any kind of popularity... this fic was originally made as a mini dare for myself. To find such a supportive group of people reading this was a pleasant surprise and I have to say, this is as far as I've ever gotten with any kind of long ongoing project. Thank you all for the support! I can't believe it's been over a year since I began this silly book.

Enjoy!

~~~

"So, it went well, I take it?"

Your cheeks immediately burn like a bonfire. Cal laughs at your reaction to his prompt, still looking at you with curious eyes.

Sighing, you sink deep into the fabric of your hoodie, trying to disappear into the void. You figure this must be your punishment for all those times you teased Calvin about his crush on Ash. Your turn to be embarrassed, you suppose. Karma and all that.

"...Yeah, it went well," you manage to mumble. If there were a contest for 'most red-faced human being in all of existence,' you think you'd get a pretty good score on that leaderboard right now. "We talked it out. He was just avoiding me because he didn't want to burden me. I told him that I'd help him no matter what, and... y'know, whatever."

"Aww!" Calvin coos, tilting his head to the side. You shoot him a flustered glare that he waves off in less than a second. "You're down bad, (Y/N)."

"I-I'm not 'down bad'!" you hiss, cursing yourself for stammering. "I'm just trying to be a supportive friend!"

The look that Calvin sends you is, perhaps, the smuggest and most knowing expression you've ever seen from him. You'd be more annoyed if he weren't such a good friend.

"Shut up," is all you can toss at him. You gently shove his shoulder, but he gives under the weight anyway and leans away from you, laughing brightly.

"I didn't say anything!" he reminds you with a blinding grin. You can't muster the words or will to respond to his technically-true statement, only replying with a grumble into the fabric of your shirt.

"Right, yeah, so..." You pause, trying to think of anything to change the subject. "What happened with Ash while I was at Garcello's house?"

"Oh, right, that..." he coughs into his shoulder, looking suddenly very awkward. "Thing is, I kinda... sorta... might've flirted with her? A little bit?"

You can't help but choke at that. At your sudden reaction, Calvin backpedals hard.

"Nononono it was-- it was just a cheesy pick-up line! Honest!" He frantically waves his hands in front of him. It takes a second, but he lowers them after, nervously fidgeting his fingers. "It's just that, um... she looked really caught off-guard. And then she got a little quieter, and afterward, she went back home in a hurry, and..."

Calvin sighs, ducking his head and carding his hand through his messy hair. You frown at him, not quite used to seeing him so down or anxious.

"...Did I mess up?" he murmurs into his palm and stares intently at his sneakers. His quiet demeanor is uncharacteristic. This seems to have been really bothering him, more than he lets on. "I didn't mean to ruin anything with her... I'm planning to apologize when I see her again."

"Oh, Cal," you sigh, putting your hand on his shoulder in an attempt at comfort. "I'm sure you didn't ruin anything. It's probably just a misunderstanding."

A beat of silence passes, then Calvin sighs, tense shoulders loosening. 

"Yeah, I guess so," he murmurs, half-convinced. "Maybe I just shouldn't have said anything, though."