Part 23 - Maybe

A few days have passed since you ended up accidentally eavesdropping on Garcello. It's safe to say that things have... changed. Just a little.

You smile at a customer leaving the convenience store. They thank you with a polite smile and stride out the door, leaving bells jingling quietly above the doorframe. As soon as they're out of sight, you sigh, slumping forward against the checkout counter.

You really don't know how to feel.  Shouldn't you be relieved? In some way, you know that he loves you. Maybe it means your feelings are returned just the same. But... as happy as you should be, you just feel... anxious. 

What if you're misinterpreting his affection? Sure, people say "I love you" romantically, but they can platonically, too. You know for a fact that Calvin's done so a few times with you, and you with him as well. 

But would he have stayed with you the way he did if it were platonic? 

Maybe he would have. Maybe he's just a generally affectionate guy, and you're getting your hopes up. Maybe he really just took pity on you in your sickly state and decided to be there-- because he's a good person-- and you're overthinking his act of friendly kindness.

...But maybe there's something else there.

You muffle a groan into your hands, squeezing your eyes shut. Thinking hurts.

Drowning far too deep in your worries, you don't hear the jingle of the bells above the door, nor the quiet footsteps approaching the counter. It's only when a gentle hand pats your shoulder that you blink and realize someone's entered the store.

"Hey, (Y/N)."

Your heart almost leaps out of your chest.

Garcello smiles at you, a sliver of concern showing through his eyes. You try not to get too lost in them as he huffs a short laugh through his nose and pulls his hand from your shoulder.

"You doing alright?" he asks, and you start a little at how fast your heart thumps. "You look a little pale."

It takes a moment for your brain to unwind from the sudden anxiety spinning in your head, but you manage to crack a grin and laugh.

"Yeah! I'm good," you say, surprising yourself with how okay you sound. "Just... getting back into the swing of things after the whole 'being sick' thing."

"Mm, that's fair," he says with a slight nod. "I'm glad you're feeling better. I was pretty worried to see you like that."

You can only nod and laugh a little. You're sure that if you said anything of substance, your voice would tangle like yarn, and all coherence in your speech would drop off the face of the earth. 

Man, I really hope I don't look completely stupid right now, you can't help but think, gritting your teeth. It takes a moment, but you eventually muster the courage to string together a sentence.

"Well, uh..." You falter for a second before springing right back up as best you can. "Thanks for... taking care of me, back there. You're, um..."

You trail off and draw a blank. Well, there goes the effort. 

Oddly enough, Garcello doesn't seem to pass off the awkwardness in your demeanor the way he usually might. Weirder yet, he doesn't even ask about it. Instead, he... nods. Just as awkwardly as you, no less.

"Yeah," he says, smiling-- though this time, you spot a slight tightness about his grin. "It's-- It was no problem, really."

You nod and return the smile, trying to not look too awkward as you do. You've got no clue how successful you are about that, though.