Part 17 - Sick

(WARNING: This chapter describes sickness. Vomiting/dry heaving is referenced. While not grotesque, as I don't describe it in depth, it might still be iffy, so please be aware and take care.)

~~~

Honestly, you can't help but feel a tad uneasy.

Ever since that karaoke night, you've barely seen Garcello around. You didn't think much of it at first, considering that he probably just needs some time to himself after almost dying. It's more than reasonable, it's really even an understatement.

But still... you're just worried about how he's doing. You can't imagine how hard it must be to process all of that, especially since he was the one who suffered the most.

You sigh, twirling your keys around your finger as you stroll down the street, heading home after work. It's been a rather mundane day, really. Like one of the days you'd have before meeting Garcello. But you're quite sure that anything other than a bland day is something unrealistic to hope for, at least after the karaoke night.

But your hopes resurface when you spotted a familiar figure standing by an alley. Subconsciously, your pace quickens, smiling as you prepare to greet Garcello. Something akin to relief bubbles in your chest. Pushing aside the painful awkwardness of acknowledging your crush on the guy, you're almost sprinting when you notice something. You slow to a hesitant stutter of steps.

Something's... off.

You spot his feet shuffle lazily against the ground as he flips his pack of cigarettes around in his palm. His expression is unreadable. It looks like he's just hovering around the general vicinity of the alleyway, not even going in. 

"Garcello?"

He jolts and drops the pack. You wince as it hits the sidewalk and he blanches, scrambling to pick it up. He swears under his breath, messy hair drooping as he shoves the cigarettes into his pants pocket.

"Sorry," he mumbles. It's then that you finally get a real glimpse at how utterly disheveled he appears. Multiple bandaged fingers card through unkempt hair as Garcello continues, attempting to look somewhat put-together. "I just, um... H-how've you been?"

"I'm alright...?" you reply uncertainly. It's not a lie, but you're much more concerned with Garcello's current state than yours. "Garcy, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he says just a bit too quickly with a smile just a bit too forced. He laughs mirthlessly, "Just... um, nerves."

You nod wordlessly as you watch Garcello scratch his cheek, clearly attempting to look casual and unbothered. You'd say it's only 50% successful. Maybe it'd pass if he didn't look like he just got put through a wringer.

"Are you... sure you're alright?" you hesitantly press. You don't want to push, of course, but now you're more than worried. You glance at Garcello's hands, eyes lingering at the sight of dirty bandages covering parts of his fingers and knuckles. "Did something happen?"

He follows your line of view to his hands. Upon realizing what you're looking at, he awkwardly chuckles, fidgeting with the edges of the bandaids.

"Just a bad habit, honestly," he explains, "It's really not as bad as it looks. Just a few scabs and all that."

"Oh," is all you can manage.

"Anyway," he continues hastily, grinning tightly, "I gotta go."

"Go?" you repeat, blinking. "Go where?"

"Oh, just..." Garcello shrugs unsurely and faces away from you. "Annie's expecting me. Nothing big. I'll see you around, (Y/N)."

You can only stand in place, frozen, as Garcello starts to walk away from you. Even as he turns the corner and leaves your view, you stay unmoving for just a moment longer.