boarding school (new story?)

alright; let me explain. it's not completely done, but this is the setup of a story i'm thinking of writing after my friends from instagram finishes. the italicized conversation between camila and her dad is in spanish, i hope that this makes sense. they're also all born the same year so in order from oldest to youngest, it's camila, normani, dinah, lauren, ally. okay i'll shut up now enjoy!!

warning: homophobic slurs

Normani startles herself awake when the door to her dorm opens, immediately shooting up and seeing a girl enter.

"Who are you?"

"Um," the brunette stops completely, fidgeting with her hands, "I'm your new roommate. This is Room 26, right? I mean, my key worked, so I know this is my room unless they gave me the wrong-"

"It's room 26," Normani cuts her off, getting up off her bed, "Sorry, I was napping. I cleaned this morning when the teacher didn't show up to my third-period class, so... it's nicer than usual in here."

"Oh," the girl nods awkwardly, running a hand through her hair, "I'm Camila, by the way."

Normani nods, "I'm Normani. Dinner's actually in a couple of minutes if you want to come with me and my friends."

Camila visibly shrinks, "I don't want to intrude."

Normani shakes her head, showing a small smile, "Believe me, they can be annoying, but you need friends here."

Camila nods, and Normani manages a larger, more genuine smile now.

"Alright," she grabs her jacket, "Let's go then."
Camila puts down the bag she brought with her and grabs her ID out of it. Normani grabs her ID as well before opening the door, letting Camila out first before closing the door behind them.

"So," Normani looks at Camila, "are you here for the rest of the semester or the rest of the year?"

"Year," Camila says simply, "You?"

"I've been here since freshman year, I'm here till I graduate," Normani responds, noticing that Camila's still nervously wringing her hands. "Are you not a people person?"

Camila shrugs, "Social anxiety. Sorry."

"Oh!" Normani exclaims, almost catching Camila off guard, "It's no problem, I promise. I used to really suck at people, but I've gotten better at it. I know the feeling though."

Camila nods, not saying anything as they approach the dining hall.

Normani smiles when she sees her best friends, and turns to Camila, "Alright, I promise, they're all really nice. Maybe a little overwhelming, but nice nonetheless."

Camila nods again, "Okay."

Normani smiles, "Okay. The first one's Ally, she's the youngest of us, but only by like ten days. She's a ray of sunshine and knows this school better than anyone. Then there's Dinah. She's my girlfriend, actually."

Normani doesn't miss how Camila stiffens at the word girlfriend and immediately feels a little apprehensive, hoping that the girl isn't homophobic.

She continues, though, as they approach the table, "And the last one, that's Lauren. She's currently cuddled up to my girlfriend."

"Sorry, Mani, she's comfy," Lauren retorts, not moving from where she's leaned against Dinah, the blonde's arm wrapped loosely around her shoulders.
"Who's this?" Ally asks, looking at Camila.

"This is my new roommate, Camila," Normani says, "Camila, this is Ally, Dinah, and Lauren."

Camila manages a small smile, "Nice to meet you guys."