good old days (mffi tribute)

wc: 16k - warning! the full version of this book that this is tributing is on my profile and i highly recommend reading that first to fully understand this piece of writing. thank you and enjoy.

i wish somebody would have told me babe / some day, these will be the good old days

"Who's there?" Clara calls from the kitchen.

"It's me, is Lauren here?" Dinah calls back, pulling off her shoes and leaving them at the door.

"Lauren's not here!" Lauren replies from the kitchen.

"Sounds like she is!" Dinah retorts, walking into the kitchen and smiling at Lauren's mom, "Hello."

"Where are you two going tonight?" Clara asks, "and Dinah, do you want leftovers?"

"Um, sure, I didn't eat much before I got here," Dinah replies, "Thank you."

"We're not going anywhere," Lauren says, giving Dinah a pointed look.

"Yes we are," Dinah rolls her eyes, "Ashley told me I had to go so you have to go."

"Did Ashley get three hours of sleep last night?" Lauren retorts, and Dinah sighs.

"Lauren, you're being lame. Clara, tell your daughter she's being lame," Dinah responds, and Clara sets a plate in front of Dinah.

"Lauren, you're being lame."

Lauren's jaw drops, "Mom, you're the one that tells me not to go to parties."

"Mija," Clara responds, "I don't want you going to parties and getting wasted beyond belief. However, it would be hypocritical of me to tell you not to because that's exactly what I did in high school and I had the time of my life. Besides, as long as you're being safe and responsible like I know you are, go ahead."

Lauren looks affronted, "So you're telling me that I hid going to parties from you for the past two years for you to be completely cool with it?"

"Lauren Michelle, you haven't hidden anything from me," Clara retorts, "don't forget, I am your mother."

Lauren flushes and shuts up, and Dinah laughs.

"Lauren, can I trust you to not let Dinah do anything stupid tonight?" Clara asks, giving her daughter a pointed look.

"I think I'm capable," She shrugs, and Dinah grins.

"Good to know I'm in good hands."

Clara ignores Dinah's response, "Dinah, can I trust you to not let Lauren do anything stupid tonight?"

Dinah nods, "Of course. There's only one stupid one allowed in this friendship."

Lauren snorts, "You just called yourself stupid."

"Shush," Dinah interjects, "You can trust me."

all the love you won't forget / and all these reckless nights you won't regret

Normani's walking around the backyard, picking up soda cans and miscellaneous trash when she comes up beside the pool and sees someone lying in the grass.

She laughs when she realizes who it is and walks over, "You look dead."

The culprit, Dinah, laughs lightly and looks over at her, "I might be."

Normani sits down on the grass next to where Dinah's lying with her legs crossed and her hands settled on her stomach, fruitlessly picking at the label of her water bottle.

"Is that water or vodka?" Normani asks, and Dinah just groans.

"Lo asked me that earlier," She responds, and her gentle slurring tells Normani that even if the half-full water bottle doesn't have vodka in it, Dinah's definitely been drinking.