dear mami (i fell in love)

wc: 2000 words - a letter from camila to her mom (italics are the letter, regular is the story)

Dear Mami,

I came home to stay this summer. Dinah told me I should because it's been ten years, Papi said it was because Sofi missed me.

Camila smiled, wrapping her arms tightly around Sofia as she walked out of the airport, "Hey Sof!"

"Kaki!" She exclaimed, wrapping her arms around her older sister tightly. "I haven't seen you since Christmas!"

"I know," Camila replied, pulling apart from her sister, "You've gotten really big, Sof."

Sofia rambled on about how she was going to introduce Camila to all of her friends, but all Camila could think about was her father, who was leaning against the car watching his two daughters reunite for the first time in six months.

Camila had been at school in California for the past four years, and she was now graduated and able to come home and stay home.

I had to secure living somewhere, luckily, Dinah had a friend that lives in Miami that she said needed a roommate.

Camila met Lauren within a week of being home. They were set to move into their apartment, a two-bedroom one-bathroom base level apartment with a slightly dated kitchen and lots of windows.

Lauren was kind but obviously closed off. Camila, being the introvert she was, didn't mind much, the less maintenance when it came to a roommate the better in her book. The only communication they had was brief texts asking what time the other would be home or if it'd be cool to have someone over.

Everything was relatively simple, Dinah came up for a week and crashed on the couch at one point, which both girls didn't mind, Lauren's friends came over frequently and they'd drink and watch movies, and Camila's friend Ally would invite Camila to her bakery and Camila would always come home with treats that were gone in a few days.

Lauren was easy and so was Camila.

God, Mami, if you saw her. She's the most beautiful person that I've ever laid my eyes on. She has these ridiculous green eyes that shift with her moods, this gorgeous black hair that looks effortlessly beautiful even if some would call it sloppy. And she has tattoos that are so her, I love every single one of them.

Camila knew she was gay pretty young, and it was never a big thing in their house. Alejandro was just as protective with the girls that Camila would bring home as he'd be with any boys.

Before she came out, she invited her friend, Shawn, over, and her dad almost went crazy on him. Shawn and she laugh about it now, because that's how they both came out at the same time.

Camila scrunched up her nose at the accusation, saying, "Papi, I don't like boys," and Shawn said that she didn't like boys, he did.

Camila could say with certainty that her father was extra wary of the friends she brought home from that point on, but all in all, he was pretty tame about the whole situation. He was especially tame when she brought Lauren over to help babysit Sofia, saying that Lauren was "a nice girl, Mija, much quieter than Dinah."

Camila laughed, she knew her father loved Dinah, but even Camila could find herself a little overwhelmed at Dinah's endless energy sometimes.

You would love her, Mami. And she'd love you, too. She's such a loving person, you should see the way she treats Sofi when she visits.

"I can't do that again," Lauren forfeited, collapsing onto the worn-out gray couch in the Cabellos' living room. "Sofia wins."

"It's 'cause you're old!" Sofia taunted, a smile across her face, "Camila always fails at this game, too."