chapter one: screams

"Molly, the police need to ask you some questions. Like I do at my job, you know?"

"Yeah," Molly murmured. Emily put her hand on her sister's shoulder.

"I'm gonna be right there with you, but I can't answer for you. You gotta just tell them the truth, alright? Just tell them what they need to know, Mol." Molly nodded.

They got home two hours later, and Molly went to bed, as did Emily. Her girlfriend, a sight for sore eyes, put her book in her lap and smiled beams of sunlight. "Hey, Em." She made a weak attempt to acknowledge JJ with a smile. The glistening tears on the brink of falling down Emily's face alerted JJ. "Ems, baby, come here." JJ stood and went to Emily, taking her in her arms. Emily didn't cry, she just hugged JJ in return.

JJ always thought it was worse when Emily didn't cry. She would be so upset that her body could conjure no proper response.

"That bad?"

"He molested her for eight years, Jayje, so yeah, it is that bad." Regret made Emily hold JJ tighter. "I'm sorry, baby, I love you." JJ curled her fingers and rubbed Emily's back with the topmost knuckle of her fingers.

"I love you. It's okay. You should get changed. Come lay down. You must be exhausted."

Emily nodded and started to get changed. She pulled out a T-shirt Molly had tie-dyed for her when she was six. A small nostalgic smile crossed her face before she put it on. JJ furrowed her brow at her girlfriend, who asked, "What's up?"

"Take your bra off, baby, you're coming to bed, you don't wanna sleep in that." Emily listened and did so before she climbed into bed and threw the blankets over herself. "Em, darling...you wanna talk about it?"

JJ already knew the answer. Emily just stared up at her and raised her eyebrows. Really?

"Okay. You're doing a really good thing, though, Emily. Tell me anything I can do to help, alright?" Emily nodded and her eyes fell shut. "I love you," whispered JJ, laying in next to Emily. At last she saw her girl's beautiful smile. "There it is!" JJ exclaimed. "Love you, Emily. Good night, baby,"

"Love you too. Night, Jayje."

Molly cried out, screaming in her sleep, waking both JJ and Emily. Emily went and knocked on her sister's door, and she could hear the poor child crying inside. "Mol? It's Emily, can I come in?"

Anytime Molly had cried at home she was yelled at or hit for being weak, and feared Emily would see her crying and hate her. She dried her face with the blanket and called back, "Yes." Emily's heart ached to hear her baby sister so destroyed. She turned the doorknob and pushed the door open slowly.

"Hey, honey..." There wasn't a way to begin. "Can I sit on your bed?"

"Of course, it's your house," Molly murmured. Emily sat on the side of Molly's bed and put her hand on her sister's leg over the blanket.

"Is this okay? Do you want me to move my hand?" Teaching proper boundaries. Molly looked at her leg where Emily's hand was, then up at Emily and shook her head. "Okay. Are you okay? Did you get scared?"

"I had a nightmare. But I'm okay,"

"You were screaming." Molly's face grew hotter and Emily watched her cheeks turn red.

"I'm sorry. Did I wake you up? I'm sorry,"

"Hey, hey, honey, you're alright,"

"Are...are you gonna punish me for waking you up? I'm really sorry, Emily." Emily shook her head and furrowed her brow.

"No, Molly. I'm only checking in on you. Are you okay? Do you need to calm down?" Molly swallowed and nodded. She was still worried about Emily punishing her. "Okay. Would it be better for me to stay with you or leave you alone right now?" Molly reached and touched her sister's hand, bigger than her own.

"Can you stay?" Molly whispered. "If you wanna go back to bed that's okay too, you don't have to stay just for me but I— I'm sorry," Molly cut herself off. Emily turned her hand over and held Molly's.

"You do not need to apologize. You didn't do anything wrong, Mols. I'll stay as long as you want me to, you got it?"

Molly found it awkward, Emily just sitting there, so she started to talk to her. "Are you in love with JJ?" Emily smiled a little.

"I am,"

"Is she nice?"

"Very. You'll get to know her better. And her son. He's two. Henry. He's at his dad's this week." Molly nodded to show she understood and was listening. "You wanna try and get back to sleep, honey?" Molly took this as a command and rolled over, slightly upset. "Hey, whoa, whoa, Molly, did I say something? What's wrong, honey?" Molly shook her head and dug her face into the pillow. "Can you tell me what's wrong?"

"You can go back to bed now. Thanks, Emily. I'm sorry for waking you up." Emily's face fell in defeat. It was two in the morning, and she just wanted to help.

"Molly, I only want to help you. If I can help you by leaving you alone, I will do that. But you have to be honest with me, sweetheart."

Molly didn't move. "I'm sorry. Can I please go to sleep now?" Emily nodded, even though Molly wasn't looking at her.

"Good night, Mols. I love you,"

"Love you, too, Emily."