chapter eighteen: red scarf

Henry didn't really understand the idea of Emily and JJ getting married at first. When they explained it as a fun party to celebrate their relationship and their family, he was suddenly excited, jumping around at the idea of a party where he got to dress up.

Emily was in the kitchen making breakfast for the four of them; she and JJ were having omelets, but as the kids didn't like them, they were going to have pancakes. Henry was still bouncing, and he attacked Emily's legs with a hug.

Molly was happy to see Henry so cute and excited, and he wanted to hug her too. She let him hang onto her, and JJ said, "Hey, monkey, don't hurt her," a warning smile on her face, silently apologizing to Molly.

"He's not," Molly assured her.

"Okay. Well, be careful, my monkey," she said to her son. He nodded and continued to let Molly hold him, hanging onto her incredibly tightly.

"Molly, I give you kiss?" he asked.

"Yeah, sure, buddy," Molly chuckled.

"Okay!" He smooched her cheek and wore a big smile. "I love you, Molly!"

JJ's mouth fell to an open smile, and Emily paused chopping the ingredients for their omelets to smile back at her. If she knew her fiancée — and god, did she ever — that woman was about to start crying.

"JJ?" asked Molly, her face softening to an expression of comfort and concern.

"Mommy, no cry! Mommy, no, we happy!"

"I know, buddy," JJ wept, "so am I. Mommy's very happy,"

"Mommy, wait, I gotta go draw you a picture! Wait for me!" He squirmed out of Molly's arms and ran away to go draw in his room.

Molly's eyes followed Henry until his door shut, and then she looked back at JJ in front of her. "Um, JJ, are you okay?"

"I'm doing great, Molly. Thank you for being so nice to my son. I'm really grateful. Thank you, honey,"

"What? No, he's a great kid. I love him!"

-

"Since when do you knit, my dove?" JJ asked with a laughing scoff. She fell down onto the couch and laid over Emily's lap. They shared a grin of pure bliss. Emily moved locks of JJ's blonde hair out of her eyes and mouth.

"I've known how for years and years, I've just never found the time. But I think it's relaxing. Even if I suck at it,"

"No, this looks nice, baby," said JJ. She brought her hand up to touch what Emily had done so far. A muted red scarf, only a few inches done. "You okay, me laying like this?" Emily smiled down at her.

"Yeah, of course, love."

Emily stopped knitting after a couple minutes, having JJ put it on the coffee table. When JJ turned back, she saw Emily's kind, dark eyes staring down at her, accompanied by a smile.

"My beautiful fiancée," said Emily. "Hey, lemme lay down with you, I wanna be close to you, my love." Emily held JJ slightly atop her, and JJ hummed a contented little moan. "I love you so much," Emily said. She had her arms wrapped around JJ and kissed her.

"I love you more." She sounded terribly tired, but to Emily that only made her cuter. "I love when you hold me and kiss me, and you have such a pretty smile, and I hope I make you feel really good too,"

"You do, you do, honey. You sound tired, are you tired, love?" JJ nodded against Emily's chest. "Yeah, you seem tired. You wanna take a nap?"

"Yeah, I'll go into bed," she muttered, but before she could move very much, Emily tightened her arms around JJ's body. "Hmm?"

"Stay with me, Jayje..."

"Are you sure you're not uncomfortable like this? I really don't mind going to bed, baby,"

"If you'd rather go to bed that's fine, love, but I do love cuddling with you. I don't mind at all if you want to stay right here with me." Her hand running over JJ's back made the blonde too comfortable to want to leave.

Laying atop her fiancée, JJ slept for an hour, trapping Emily underneath her. Did Emily care? Not one bit.