chapter fifteen: the plan

Molly was well-versed in the plan. She was a very convincing little actress, Emily fully believed her. "Are you sure you can't go to school, sweetheart?" Emily sat on the side of Molly's bed and stroked her hair softly. Molly nodded with sadness. "Okay."

JJ was standing in the doorway. "Baby, you've got a lot of work to catch up on, I can stay home with her." Emily winced and turned back to Molly.

"Sweetheart—"

"It's okay, Emmy, you can go to work. I'll be okay." Emily kissed Molly's forehead.

"Hmm. You don't feel feverish, honey. I'll be home soon, okay? And I'll call the school on my way to work. Try to get some rest. I love you,"

"Love you too."

JJ made sure Emily got out the door and on her way to work before she told Molly the coast was clear. Molly threw the blankets off herself and bounded out to the living room.

"Ready?" JJ asked. Molly grinned.

They went out to the store and bought angel cake mix — Molly had the idea to bake cupcakes, and she was incredibly excited to decorate them. They bought vanilla frosting, popsicle sticks, card stock, food coloring, and an icing bag.

Molly and JJ couldn't stop laughing and smiling as they baked. JJ handled the frosting while Molly did some crafts. She cut out fifteen small circles of card stock, wrote WILL YOU MARRY ME?, one character on each, and used a small piece of tape to tape the backs of the circles to the popsicle sticks, which had been cut in half.

JJ was impressed with their combined abilities. She had made rainbow frosting. ("Is that too on-the-nose?" Molly had asked. JJ thought it was fine, if they could pull it off.)

Molly's arts and crafts session was fruitful. They stuck the popsicle sticks into the frosting on the cupcakes and organized them in order.

"That looks good, don't you think?" asked JJ with a smile.

"It's awesome!" Molly exclaimed.

-

JJ and Molly couldn't wait for Emily to get home. Emily texted JJ that she was leaving and Molly got back in bed, looking as sick as she could.

Emily sat down on her bed again, stroking Molly's hair. "My poor baby...are you feeling any better?" Molly scrunched up her face. "Aw. Did you eat?" The girl shook her head.

"I'm not hungry,"

"I know, honey, but you've gotta eat. I'll make you anything you want." Molly threw the blanket off of herself and let Emily lead her out to the kitchen.

"Oh, Em, I already made her something, here." Emily, confused, was about to go talk to JJ when Molly tapped her on the back in a panic. JJ had to get the cupcakes out of the fridge.

"Emily, I don't feel good," she pouted. She dug her face into Emily's side and pretended to be upset. Emily hugged her.

"Lovey...I know, I know..."

JJ pulled the ring box out, opened it, and set it next to the tray of cupcakes.

"I gotta show you something." Emily was worried. Was her sister okay?

Molly had her turn around and Emily gasped. JJ's hands were clasped together and her chin rested on them, with a terrified smile engulfing her face.

Molly grinned and looked between Emily and JJ. "Emily," she whispered. Emily had been completely frozen in shock. She looked down at Molly, which let the girl see the tears streaming down her face. Molly found it odd to see her normally solid sister crying like this, but she grinned and gave Emily a small push. "Go talk to her, please!"

Emily chuckled and met JJ in a bear hug. Molly jumped around in excitement and giggled. Both women were crying tears of joy. JJ pulled her chin off Emily's shoulder, making Emily do the same, and they kissed one another.

JJ laughed out of the kiss, unable to contain her glee commingled with anxiety. Emily hadn't answered her question. She rested her forehead against Emily's. "So will you marry me?" JJ asked with a smile. Emily smiled and kissed her again briefly.

"I would love to marry you, Jennifer Jareau," she laughed. They kissed yet again and pulled one another into another tight hug. "I love you so much,"

"I love you," JJ told her. "Hey." She released Emily and they each dried their eyes. JJ turned around and grabbed the ring out of the box.

"God, it's so pretty," Emily said. This made JJ laugh, Emily following. Molly was just enjoying this show.

"For you. My pretty girl." Emily's face flushed, and JJ slid the ring onto her finger. "Oh, thank god, I was so worried it wouldn't fit," JJ sighed. Emily laughed and held her again. "I love you, Em. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, and I'm so excited to marry you."

"JJ, I..." Emily sobbed into the crook of JJ's neck. "I love you so much...I can't..."

"You don't have to, my dove," JJ said. She tightened her arms around Emily and Emily cried harder. "I know. You don't have to say anything,"

"I love you,"

"I love you, Em."

When they finally released one another, they wiped away their tears again and JJ said, "Ha, you should thank your sister. She suggested cupcakes,"

"You did?" Emily asked, looking at Molly, whose facial muscles ached from smiling so much. Molly nodded.

"Uh-huh. Were you surprised?" This kid would kill Emily by being so sweet. She hugged Molly close.

"Definitely, sweetheart. You helped JJ plan this for me?" Molly nodded more.

"Oh, she isn't sick, either. We had a whole plan," JJ explained. Emily looked down at Molly, who smiled and looked down bashfully.

"You're good at that," Emily laughed at her baby sister. "I mean, don't do that again, but I am so happy you..." Emily was close to crying again. "You're happy with this? You wanted to help?"

"Yeah," Molly laughed. "JJ asked me to." Emily and JJ made eye contact and JJ winked. "I made the letters,"

"It came out really good. I didn't know if we could pull it off," JJ chuckled.

"And rainbow frosting was my idea! Y'know, 'cause you're gay."

Molly shrugged and hugged Emily. They all laughed. "Yeah?" Emily chuckled.

"I didn't know if it was too overboard. JJ said no,"

"Oh!" laughed Emily. "JJ, where are you? Get in here!" JJ joined their hug.

They ate the cupcakes, leaving one for Henry when it was JJ's time with him the following week. Molly really wanted to eat the one with the question mark. She was so excited, almost as excited as JJ and Emily.