29

"You said thirty minutes," I whispered, leaning so close to him that I wasn't sure if I was speaking right into his jacket and he couldn't hear me.

Gabriel was standing rigidly next to me, facing a group of people neither of us seemed to know, yet we stood there like we totally understood their problems they were rambling on about.

Well perhaps Gabriel did understand them, but I didn't. As a member of the, living pay cheque to pay cheque society, I had no idea about the complicated and confusing nature of the boating industry on their private yachts and what the current issue with the fees was.

Did Gabriel have a yacht? Probably not, he still drove a second hand car he had gotten back in his university days, it was a very nice second hand car, I still wouldn't be able to afford it. But it was the same car he kept in amazing condition that it could almost be mistaken for new. Except the model was definitely old. 

He definitely lived by the, why waste money, motto. Yet he looked so interested in the conversation, I wasn't sure if he had joined the let's waste money club.

I was about to repeat myself, I was hoping me glaring at him would get his attention, but those eyes were focused on the man who continued to speak without judging the atmosphere of the very bored looking group. The bored one, being me. 

"Soon," he finally said, without casting a single look at me, making me wonder if he was replying to me, or the man who was asking about yachts again. What was the question?

I shuffled on my feet wondering if I took them off, would people notice? I would shrink a significant amount, so no doubt, and it was a little gross, come on Rory, pick up your game. Who cares that your feet hurt? 

I looked at the woman in the stunning midi dress, tight and suiting every single part of her curves, and wondered how on earth she looked so glamorous on this tiniest safety pin like heels, which were twice the size of mine. She was very petite, and this brought her to my shoulders. As someone who wasn't tall myself, I felt like an absolute giant next to her, even though I wasn't standing next to her. I definitely felt like a used and scratched surfboard.

I looked away before I looked like I was glaring at her, because I wasn't, I was simply admiring her. But my resting bitch face would say otherwise. I shifted on my feet again, impatient and decided to dig my fingers into Gabriel's arm.

I knew it didn't hurt him, all I felt was fabric under my fingers, yet he took a deep sigh, almost like he was sick of babysitting me. Well...he brought this upon himself, he said thirty minutes and that had expired a long time ago. 

I dug them in a little bit more, positive that he didn't feel pain but at least some form of pressure, and then I paused, what if he pinches me back. Okay, no more pinching.

"Excuse us ladies and gentlemen,"

Ah finally.

Gabriel turned and I more than happily followed him, "Yay, bed, can we get some snacks sent to us cause I am absolutely star-," and then I paused.

Right next to the stairs I was longing to see all night, was his grandmother, talking intently to someone.

Oh crap.

No, please no.

Gabriel stilled as well, she hadn't seen us yet, but we were in prime position. The last thing I wanted was to speak to her, "Let's go back to the I'm too rich but not rich enough to pay my fees group," I muttered tugging on his sleeve to go back  the other way. It was like he was also frozen but unlike him, I was able to act quickly under pressure.

"Come on," I tugged harder.

Instead, he changed direction, "I know a better way."

He started walking down the staff corridor, through the doors that rows and rows of plates of delicious food, yet no staff.

Do you think they would notice if I just pinched a plate? But then again the food, whatever it was, looked rawer than a living and breathing animal. Maybe not...

I nearly tripped over, not seeing the wire on the ground, but Gabriel didn't pause, he kept going, tugging me behind him like a paper towel. He really needed some lessons on etiquette. We went through another door into a quieter room, before he flicked his arm out, making mine drop off.

Did he just shoo me like a fly?

I should kick him, and dig this heel right into his stupid leather shoe. "Did you ju-,"

"Look for a red book."

What?

It was only then I realised that we were in some type of an office, "Red," he repeated as he went to the walls. He placed a finger on the book and walked around staring intently while his finger was going over the spines of the book.

Right, red book. I looked around, well...there were a lot of red books. I could see one in every shelf, yet he seemed to be skipping over it. Was there a shade of red I should be looking for? Cherry, wine, lipstick, or maybe blood red because this man really wanted me to kick him with his vague and confusing instructions, and my social anxiety of asking him to repeat it again cause he wouldn't reply. He gives the silent treatment.

"Got it." 

Did he?

I walked over, the room was pretty small, yet it managed to feel so big with all the books, "Do people even read these?" I asked.

And there it was, the silence, even though he hadn't answered this question before. He pulled the spine of the book and inside of it, was a key. Right, it was a fake book, are they all fake? I grabbed a random book opening it, nope, it had pages. 

"Follow me," Gabriel said, walking back around to the windows, are we jumping out of the windows? He disappeared behind the curtains and I started at his figure that was moving behind them, was he serious?

Clearly he was, when I didn't hear anything else, I rushed behind the curtains as well. Dusty curtains that made my nose tingle. I placed a hand on the wall as I started walking trying to catch up to him. He had paused in a location, the corner of the window and the wall, running his hands over something.

"I can hear someone coming," I whispered.

"Then be quiet."

I could hear loud chatter from the other side of the door, what if they come in here? The noise had stilled like they were talking, yet I couldn't make out anything they were saying. 

"I need to sneeze."

"Don't, stop it."

There he was, back with his you can stop anything if you try hard enough motto. I bit my tongue, hoping that the pain would distract me from the sneeze but it couldn't. I wished I was like the person who was able to hold in the sneeze, make it go away or silence it but I couldn't. I was a loud and gross sneezer and I hated it.

I tilted my head, closing my eyes and placing my hands on my mouth, I couldn't hold it in. Just then I felt two rough hands on my back, shoving me forward as I sneezed.

There was no bless you, just a slam of something. 

When I opened my eyes, all I saw was darkness.

Did I die?

Insta: imsooverpolice