Chapter 8

The full chapter 7 has been uploaded on 2nd April - if you haven't read the full chapter go read it now :) 

* * * 

The sun was bright and I could feel the bright glares behind my closed eyelids. I turned to the other side, the sound of crunching paper making me open my eyes.

Oh yeah, the chips.

I moved the chips packets further down the bed, Gabriel's idea of food last night was handing me two bags of chips and telling me to go away, in not so polite terms.

Now that I was awake, I was wide awake. I groaned rolling onto my back, staring at the ceiling, trying to hear what Gabriel was saying, or who he was yelling at. I could just hear muffled noises, he must be really yelling if I can hear him through the ensuite. 

Was this man ever happy, did he ever take a moment to just enjoy the view from his room?

I looked out towards the big glass windows, the view of the ocean, the sun shining brightly on the crystal blue water. I could see a few ships and yachts on the water, I wonder if I could go for a day trip. If only Fern was here, he was more fun. Richard and Gabriel were boring and there was no way they would come with me even if I asked.

I could hear banging on the wall. Was he smashing someone's head against my door?

The banging then turned into someone yelling my name, oh god damn. I jumped out of bed, rushing towards the ensuite door. Why was he knocking when he was the one that locked it. I opened the door, sure enough Richard and Gabriel were standing in the bathroom staring at me.

"What?" I asked running a hand self consciously though my bed hair, "Why are you guys coming into my room through the bathroom...why are you guys in the bathroom together?" I asked as they both shoved past me.

Gabriel walked over to my veranda, opening the curtains and blinds whilst Richard opened the other door, the main door that they should walk through.

"What are you guys doing?" 

They both ignored me, Gabriel then went and grabbed a chair and moved it closer to the railing on the veranda and sat down.

I looked between them confused, "Is something happening?" I asked Richard. He avoided my gaze, placing something on the T.V. stand. 

"I'll go get breakfast." He said.

Oh food, sure. I should brush my teeth. Gabriel was engrossed in his phone, as always, so I grabbed a few of my things and headed to the other bathroom to freshen up. 

I had a quick shower, noting to myself that I can come have a longer one after as that was probably the best shower head I had ever seen. It felt like rain drops and it was the perfect temperature of boiling water, it was like a waterfall from the ceiling.

I slipped into a simple black office dress, tying my hair into a bun as I came out. Richard was still not back with food, so I went to the veranda, standing in the entry way. Gabriel looked up.

"You can sit." He advised.

I nodded grabbing a chair and dragging it over, keeping at least 1.5 meters apart as looked out towards the port.

"Where are we exactly?" I asked.

"Greece."

"Yeah...I know that much. Where in Greece."

Gabriel looked up from his phone, "Do you know many places here?"

"No." I shook my head.

"Then you won't know where we were even if I told you."

He had a fair point but I was still curious. Fine, whatever. I leaned in my chair, stretching my legs in front of me, it was a nice sunny day. In the distance I could villas, all along the coast line. I wonder if people lived there or if it was for tourists. 

"I've got chocolate baguettes!"

I looked over my shoulder as Richard brought in a plate of chocolate baguettes and another plate of fruit.

Why was there fruit, so healthy. I reached for the chocolate baguette as Gabriel made no move to get any himself. Richard dragged another chair across sitting in between us, definitely breaching Gabriel's 1.5 meter distancing rule.

"So, here is the plan for today. We have a meeting with Corcux's chief financing officer, he wants to make us a deal. That's in two hours, then we can break for lunch, have an afternoon meeting with them as well, and then we have dinner also with her."

"Grandmother?" I asked, "You have a grandmother?"

"Generally  your mother has a mother, that's called a grandmother,"  Gabriel said, not looking up from whatever news article he was engrossing himself in today.

That is true, I just didn't think Gabriel was the type to have dinner with his family. He doesn't really mention them apart from the reminder to send them a card on occasions. At least he remembered that, because I never remembered it. 

"What dress size is that?"

I nearly choked on my baguette as I looked at Gabriel.

"Uh what. Are you still on about sizing?"

"Give one of your dresses to Richard. Richard go get it sized for tomorrow."

"What's tomorrow?" I asked. 

Neither one of them answered me, nor looked like they were going to. I sighed, I just loved being ignored like that. I ate the rest of my baguette in silence before excusing myself to go call Kyle. I hope he wasn't too upset at me leaving like that, but we were used to that. When he was in town, I was always away for work.

Then he left for months, years at a time, it was just something I got used to when I found out he wanted to be in the Navy.

"Hello?" 

"Oh sorry are you sleeping?" I asked looking at my phone, what time was it back in Melbourne. 

"It's fine, did you get there safely?" I could hear him get up on the other side of the phone. He must have fallen asleep on the couch again as I could hear background music. 

"Yeah just got here."

"When are you coming back?"

"Not sure, maybe a week?"

There was a long pause.

"Rory, you know I go back in four days."

"I know. I'm sorry." I said looking over my shoulder at the two men sitting on the veranda, doing their own thing. "I can't do anything about it."

"It's ok. Look I'll call you back." 

I sighed laying down on my bed.

What are you doing to keep yourself occupied during this lockdown (or are you not in lockdown yet?) I have work...so I'm still doing my daily routine minus the travel, so using this travel time to write.

Also..this WHIPPED COFFEE trend is fantastic, I'm on board. Just posted it on my insta but send me what you guys made! Im going to try it with hot chocolate and see if it works...

Insta: imsooverpolice  

Insta (author): nkpockett