Getting some Kelp

Kaui swam forwards, her fin like wings aiding her in pursuit of her target. Stretching her claws forward, she punctured the tail of her target, drawing blood. The swordfish slowed, opting to thrash wildly, trying to throw her off. Kaui drove her claws in further, reaching forwards with her long neck, and biting its neck. Finally, she had some food. But this wasn't only for her. This evening, she had asked someone to join her, Reef.

Oh, Reef was the most beautiful specimen she'd ever laid eyes on, beautiful blue scales, deeper blue underbelly, purple luminescence... Kaui snapped herself out of her little fantasy, shifting the dead swordfish to her back claws. She'd have to set up first, of course. Kaui turned around, swimming towards the agreed location. The scent of blood did attract smaller scavengers, and Kaui simply added them to the food. By the time she got to the kelp forest, she had a substantial amount of food.

Kaui swam slowly up to the surface, poking her head up. It was mid afternoon, based on the sun's position. What else could she get? Kaui debated with herself for about five minutes, before knowing exactly what to do. She swam down to the bottom, stashing the food in a safe place, before setting off to find some shells.

Kaui's strong tail beat lazily as she trawled along the bottom, looking for the best shells. There were swirly ones, jagged ones, smooth ones, and ones that weren't empty. Sifting through the brownish sand, Kaui found a few dead sand dollars. Thinking that they could be of some use, she added them to the small pile in her claws. Swimming almost out of the forest, Kaui came across the drop off. Only the better swimmers could be trusted at such depths, the trench a gaping maw beneath her.

A ledge just in her sight, down in the darkness of the trench. A golden something glittered there, and Kaui knew it would be perfect... As she swam down deeper, Kaui became painfully aware of how close she was getting to her self imposed crush depth. She soon reached the ledge, her luminescence dimly lighting the area. Down in the sand, a single golden medallion laid, with a rusty chain. As she admired her catch, Kaui failed to notice what was behind her.

A voidfish. Highly territorial voidfish. This was why surface hunters never went in the trench. It screeched, rushing swiftly towards her. Kaui startled, dropping a few of the shells and sand dollars. The voidfish charged at her lower leg, trying to grab her. Kaui kicked it, and began swimming for the edge of the trench. It pursued her all the way to the edge, where Kaui received a harsh nip on one of her fins. Kaui winced, swimming up and out of the trench. The voidfish stopped its pursuit, swimming back into the depths.

Kaui huffed, looking at her leg fin. It had a decent size chunk taken out of the membrane, and Kaui realized it had taken and presumably eaten one of her precious bronze piercings. The nerve! Kaui grumbled to herself, heading back into the kelp forest.

Back in the forest, where it was nice and shallow, the setting sun shone through the water, making it look like it was burning. Kaui swam in circles around the area she had set up, wincing occasionally at her injury. Kaui was proud of what she'd accomplished, shells laid out in a rough circle around her pile of food. The sand dollars were accents around it, and she had the medallion in her claws, prepared to gift it to Reef.

Soon, she arrived. It was almost night, meaning her purple stripes along her underbelly were lit up beautifully, and Kaui found herself nearly speechless.

"Kaui, you're zoning out!" Reef waved a paw in front of Kaui's face, bringing her back to the present.

"Oh, terribly sorry... Well, I did get this for you!" Kaui showed Reef the medallion, which had intricate little designs in it. Reef gasped happily, reaching for it. Kaui pulled it away.

"Nope. I get to put it on you." Kaui swam above Reef, reaching down with her claws, and tying it around her neck.

"How do I look?" Reef spun in a circle, purposely showing off her purple lights.

"You look nicer than the shells beneath me, and the stars above you." Kaui answered honestly, swimming down the get the food. It was then Reef noticed Kaui had an injured fin.

"Oh, you're hurt Kaui! Let me help." She swam down to Kaui, who had nestled on the seabed, stirring up sand.

"Oh, this? Yeah, I kinda went in the trench and got bitten by a voidfish..." Kaui trailed off. Reef shook her head, reaching towards Kaui, and nuzzling next to her shoulder. Kaui froze momentarily, but then practically melted into the contact.

"Fortunately for you, I know what can help." Reef never left anywhere without first aid supplies, just in case. She never knew where her medical skills might be needed.

"Last I checked, this water is salty. Your wound is sterile, so all that's left to do is stimulate the healing. I have something on me here..." Reef grabbed a bandage, and wrapped it along the stem of the fin. Applied to it was a special paste to speed healing.

"According to well known research, and me, cuddles help people heal." Reef had an amused smirk of her face, and nuzzled into Kaui's neck. Kaui's face would've been glowing if she could blush. Slowly, Kaui wrapped her right wing around Reef, and pulled her close.

Reef pulled away, grabbing the food and tearing some of it into small chunks. She held it close to Kaui's mouth, wriggling it.

"It's a fin injury, I can feed myself you know..." Reef giggled, a bubbly sound that made Kaui happy inside.

"Probably. But where's the fun in that?" Reef smiled, proceeding to feed Kaui chunks of swordfish, until she was satisfied.

"You're adorable, you know that right?" Reef proceeded to lean forwards, and press her face to Kaui's. Kaui pulled Reef into an embrace, stroking her back.

Getting injured was so worth it.

       I'm a complete sucker for hurt and comfort-