Trial of The Hunter

Chillfurrow soared through the air, high above the arctic spires and icy tundra that made up her home. The cold wind nipped at their scales, sweeping beneath her translucent wings. She had been sent on a hunting trip by her parents, to learn how to fish.

She flew to the nearest body of water, pulling in for a landing, her wings tucking gracefully behind her back. Walking to the water's edge, she waited for fish to come. Why do I feel... So uncomfortable when my parents refer to me as "my daughter"? Or why I find myself wanting to go with the male hunting parties, rather than being a guard? It makes no sense...

Chillfurrow sat on the ice shelf, fur tipped tail swaying back and forth as she waited to pounce. A fish was swimming close to the shelf, almost taunting her. Taking her chance, she leapt into the water, claws outstretched. They hit the fish, puncturing it's flesh and making the red blood slowly leak into the crystalline water. The fish thrashed, trying to swim away, but Chillfurrow swiftly snapped its neck, and leapt back onto the ice shelf.

No matter how many times he did this, it never got any warmer. Wait... he? Chillfurrow was confused. Wasn't she female? But that sounds... Better, much better. Chillfurrow deposited the fish on the bank, waiting for more food. He'd have to bring back enough for himself, and his baby sibling, Penguin. Maybe if he were lucky, he'd be able to catch a seal, a rare delicacy.

Him... Yes, that fits. I'm male.

Chillfurrow fiddled with the snow beneath him, drawing intricate lines and patterns. He wondered if anyone else knew what he meant. A claw dangled idly in the water, making ripples and collecting energy to power his magic. Soon, he'd have enough energy to wield it in combat, training with his parents. Training to become a guard. But he didn't want to guard with the females. He wanted to hunt.

A splishing sound came from his right. To his shock, a polar bear was swimming in the water. Very dangerous prey for a younger dragon, it could almost certainly kill him. But maybe bringing it back would be the proof he needed, to show his parents he could be a good hunter. That he could hunt like the other males.

Chillfurrow summoned his charged magic in his paws, channelling the force of the arctic into them. He flapped his wings, lifting off of the ice, hovering above the polar bear. He'd have to time this well... Chillfurrow saw his opportunity, diving down onto the polar bear, claws striking into it with great force, the strike of his magic paralyzing the bear for a few precious seconds. Chillfurrow held onto it's back, trying to deliver the killing blow, but the bear seemed to be unwilling to go just yet. It rolled over, throwing Chillfurrow underwater, where he still stubbornly held onto his prey.

He reached onto the bear's shoulders, grabbing the back of its neck with his teeth, and instinctively biting it. The bear struggled, flipping upright again, and flailed, hitting Chillfurrow harshly with its claws, drawing quite a bit of blood. He still stubbornly held on, feeling something give beneath his teeth. Finally, the bear went limp, floating in the water. Chillfurrow grabbed it, flapping desperately with his wings, and pushing up with his one undamaged forearm, but the bear was too heavy. He wouldn't be able to get it on land.

"Someone, anyone! Help me!" Chillfurrow waited in the freezing cold water, shouting occasionally for help. It was hours before a hunting party found him, trembling and holding the carcass above water. Two others brought the corpse onto land, and the leader helped him out of the water.

"Are you alright, little female? You seem to be injured-" Chillfurrow puffed up despite the injury.

"I'd prefer to be male." The leader stared at him in confusion for a moment.

"Well, your identity isn't my domain. Why'd you go for a polar bear? It could've killed you, easily." Chillfurrow stared at the snow beneath them.

"Because I wanted to prove I could hunt like the other males. I'm not female. I don't want to be a guard!" His voice raised more than he intended at the end of that sentence.

"You didn't have to endanger yourself like this." The leader gestured to the dead bear.

"But it's impressive. Discuss it with your parents, it's up to them. We'll carry the bear back, but you can keep all of it. It's your kill." Chillfurrow puffed slightly with pride.

Back at Chillfurrow's den...

Penguin chirped happily at the sight of his older sibling, walking awkwardly over to them.

"Hey Penguin. How was your day?" Chillfurrow patted Penguin's head fur. His wound had been wrapped, but it was still painful.

Penguin chirped, spinning around in a circle. Chillfurrow took that to mean 'good.' His parents weren't too far behind, immediately noticing the new bandage.

"Oh Chillfurrow, were you hurt while fishing?" His father's voice was full of concern.

"Yes and no, father..." Chillfurrow told them the whole story, even the part where he didn't feel female.

"Well, I certainly didn't expect you to kill a polar bear! That's very impressive for someone of your age, especially solo. But I don't want you doing it again, without a party."

"Wait, without a party?" Chillfurrow was confused. He didn't have a party. His father smiled.

"Yes, a party. I think you can join one with that skill level, even if you were female."

"So you accept it?" His mother sighed exasperatedly.

"You're still my child. What sort of fool wouldn't? It's not like you killed someone, you just feel different, and we shall accept it." Chillfurrow was extremely happy, almost bouncing on the spot. Penguin chirped, standing on their hind legs and trying to hug their brother. He fell down, grunting at the impact.

"You're adorable." Penguin purred, waddling off to do something else.

"I think you should get some rest, my son. That injury won't heal itself." Chillfurrow headed to his room, the thought that he had been called a son keeping him warm all the way there.

Penguin chirped, following his brother. He found him curled up on his resting spot, sleeping. Penguin clambered onto it, curling up next to him.

"Nighty, brother!" Penguin murmured. Chillfurrow smiled in his sleep.

Ok, that ending might've been cringe, but I had to write family fluff plz don't kill me-