By the Firelights

Zyn rested on the mat, the fluffy surface comfortable beneath his scales. As much as he liked his reading blanket, he had to get up to light the library's candles if he planned on reading with his boyfriend, Azul. He dragged himself off the blanket, conjuring a small purple flame, floating above his claw. The scented candles were green, blue, and purple, each smelling fruity. Zyn held his paw next to each of the wicks, lighting the candles.

The room was soon bathed with a light lavender glow, and Zyn grabbed a few of the candles, sitting them next to his blanket. The room smelled faintly of lilac and fruit. Zyn walked along the shelves, before finally selecting a suitable book. The book's pages were slightly tattered from repeated reading, and it had a tan cover. The door to the library creaked, and Zyn knew Azul had arrived.

Azul walked in through the door, seeing his purple boyfriend holding a book in his claws.

"Hey, did you pick the book already?" Zyn walked to the blanket, sitting down, and patting the space next to him.

"Yes, I have. This one is quite an old story, one of the first in my collection." Azul laid down next to Zyn, curling his fluffy green-feathered tail around Zyn's.

"What's the story about this time?"

"Ah, saying so would spoil it. I'd rather you wait and listen." Zyn patted Azul's head apologetically. Azul sighed, curling closer towards Zyn.

"Let's get started then." Zyn opened the book, flipping past the author's note and to the first page.

"Once upon a time..." Zyn started.

"In a galaxy far, far away..." Azul snickered. Zyn simply poked him gently in the side.

"I thought you'd listen properly for once."

"Ok, ok. I'll try to keep the interjections to a minimum." Zyn cleared his throat, beginning again.

"Once upon a time, there was nothing but darkness. Everything in the universe didn't exist, except this darkness. Even time itself was absent in this free flowing darkness."

"After an immeasurable period, some of the darkness collided in just the right way. A conscience was created at that moment of impact, and it happened exactly once." Zyn conjured a ball of flame on one hand, willing it to split. It flowed freely in the air, like liquid, forming the scene he had described.

"Someone was formed from this collision. Pyrite, the first dragon. They were all alone, in a very empty universe. Nothing except them existed. They travelled the seemingly endless void for quite awhile, before they realized something."

"They were taking a nap and everything around them was a lie?" Azul offered. Zyn snorted softly.

"No, but good guess."

"They had the power to create. So they did, forming glowing spheres of plasma out of the darkness. The first stars. They also made much smaller things, little spheres of rock. They moved these spheres in alignment with one another, creating the first few systems."

"They were still lonely, however. So they formed the first dragons, made of the darkness that surrounded them. They sculpted one thousand dragons, setting them gently down onto one of the planets. There, they made a community. Pyrite repeated this, forming civilizations of their own in the systems."

"The dragons created things of their own, making houses, stories, art, and music. But where there was creation, destruction followed close behind."

"Now it's getting interesting! Are the planets going to implode?"

"You'll have to wait and listen, Azul."

"There were conflicts. Claws that could sculpt and build, could also rip and shred. Dragons were volatile, and frequently duelled over trivial matters. Pyrite did not like it one bit, and separated the two main parties forever."

"Dammit, not the light and the dark again-" Zyn flicked Azul's wing, giving him a pleading look to stop him. Azul giggled mischievously, and pressed a peck to Zyn's cheek.

"I promise I'll stop."

"The two sides were dragons of shadow, and dragons of flame. The shadowed ones were moved to a warmer climate on the other side of the planet. It was a humid forest, lush with both opportunity and danger. The fires were given the northern regions, their internal flame keeping them warm though harsh winters and mild summers alike."

"The fires learnt to manipulate their internal flames, channelling it as a source of power. The shadows learnt the art of stealth, and how to make themselves invisible to others. The two races stayed separate for a very long time, even forgetting the others existed."

"Pyrite soon felt it was time to reintroduce them. The shadows and fires formed an alliance, splitting lands between them. All was peaceful, as they wished. The shadow and flame would go on to form one of the most successful civilizations, on their little rock at least."

"And what was formed from this union of shadow and flame? No one knows except Pyrite." Zyn closed the book, despite only one legend being read.

"Well, that was certainly interesting." Azul reached forwards with a claw, beginning to stroke Zyn's folded wings. Zyn relaxed, lying in a very pliable warm pile on the blanket.

"You keep doing this, and I might fall asleep before I blow out the candles..." Zyn murmured.

"I can take care of that. Go ahead and take a nap." Azul pressed a gentle kiss to his boyfriend's snout, walking off to blow out the candles.

Shadow and Flame always did dance so beautifully together.

This whole prompt was based off of one line from Hollow Knight; Divine's dreamnail dialogue. Also the username of one of my fellow wattpadders: 

@ShadowAndFire