Metalhead

Gallium sat atop their mountain peak, staring into the snow and ice below. The few evergreens were lightly dusted with snow, making it look like powdered sugar resting on their branches. Over the past few years, the humans had grown bolder and bolder, chopping more trees, and mining more ore from their mountain. They did not like it one bit, and the last time they had confronted them, the humans had tried to kill Gallium. How rude.

Gallium hopped off of their peak, and began walking towards the bottom of the mountain. Perhaps they could make the humans see reason.

They were close to the bottom when they saw a colourful something in the snow. It wriggled slightly, before popping out. Gallium could tell that this was a human child, playing all alone out in the snow. The child turned around, letting out a small squeak of surprise when it saw Gallium sitting in the snow, watching with interest. The child approached with no regard to personal safety whatsoever.

"Oh, hi! What's your name, Mr dragon?" The child extended one of its pitifully small mittens, offering a handshake. Gallium found it endearing, and extended a single claw. The human grasped it with wonderment and awe. It was funny that a juvenile human was so much nicer than the adult ones.

"My name is Gallium. I am not a mister." The child paused.

"Sorry, Gallium. Are you a girl then?"

"No, I am not. I am non binary. You may use they/them with me." The child made a small "ohhhh" sound, before giggling.

"One of the kids in my class has those! That's cool!"

"Class? You attend school?" Gallium was curious. They'd only heard passing rumours of this event.

"Bleaah, I wish I didn't! They don't teach me anything useful, like how to talk to a dragon!" Gallium let out a soft snort.

"Would you like me to teach you something?" The child squeaked again, seemingly from excitement.

"Yes please, Gallium! Ooh, can you tell me about where you live? Maybe you can bring me there!"

"I live atop the mountain's peak. It is nothing much aside from rocks, ice, snow, and a few trees. Not very special." Gallium was curious of the child's desire to come with them to the peak. Wherever the parents were, they wouldn't take to kindly to it.

"Yeah it's special! You live there, and I've never seen a real live dragon before!" Gallium was flattered by the human child. Yes, these certainly were better than the adults.

"Where are your parents, little human? You'll have to ask them if you want to come with me." The child stuck their lip out in an unknown expression.

"I'm not just a little human! My name's Charlie. My parents are at home, and they told me I had to go play outside. I was supposed to come back at supper." Gallium already didn't like these parents. This child could easily freeze to death if it wasn't careful.

"Charlie, could you ask them if you could go with me?" They stuck their thumb upwards, waddling back towards the bottom of the mountain.

"Charlie, wait. I can carry you most of the way." They perked up, reaching for Gallium, who grabbed them gently in one of their claws, making their way down the rest. A short walk for the dragon, but a decently long hike for a human child. Gallium deposited them near the edge of town, and they walked into a nearby house.

They came soon after, with something in their hands. It smelled unlike anything Gallium had seen before.

"They said yes! I think they thought I was playing pretend again. But here, I brought you this. It's my favourite food!" They offered it to Gallium, tiny arms reaching up as far as possible.

"Thank you. What is it?" Gallium gingerly took it, it seemed to be wrapped in a thin, see through sheen.

"Gummy worms! They're a chewy candy." Gallium found the bag hilariously small, as big as the inner area of their paw.

"I lack your opposable thumbs. Can you open the container?" The child giggled, taking it back. They undid something at the top, taking out a brightly coloured worm. They popped it their mouth, before handing the rest back to Gallium.

"What do you eat anyways? I hope you like these." Gallium dumped half of the bag into their maw, rather liking the exotic taste. Unlike anything they'd had before. They swallowed the mouthful, their silvery tongue swallowing it all back.

"I hunt. Most anything that comes near my peak, aside from humans. I will occasionally scavenge food left over by humans, or eat metal. That bolsters my internal flame." The human looked confused.

"So you're an omnivore? We learned about that in school."

"Correct. Now, climb onto my hand. You are going to take a ride with me, otherwise we'd never reach the peak." The human, no, Charlie clambered up onto Gallium's paw, and was lifted into their metallic ruff around their neck. It was softer than it looked.

"Hold my ruff."

"Isn't that the sound a dog makes?" Gallium vibrated slightly, holding in a laugh. Human innocence was amusing.

"No, it's the part of me you're sitting on. Grab it." Charlie grasped the ruff, as Gallium began their ascent, walking, then speeding up to a bouncing trot.

"Wheeee! This is fun!" Gallium noted that Charlie seemed to enjoy slightly dangerous situations.

"Hey, can you fly? I noticed you had wings!"

"Yes. I highly doubt your grip strength, however."

"Aww! Maybe on the way down?"

"Yes, on the way down." Gallium just remembered what the whole goal of this charade was. Oh well, it could wait until tomorrow. Charlie was interesting, and the nicest human they had met.

The pair soon reached the peak, where Gallium slowed down, and gently took Charlie off of their neck. Their home was empty as always, but this time it had new life in the form of Charlie.

"Oooh, your house is really empty! I'm gonna play in the snow here." Gallium stood watch, as Charlie slowly sculpted something out of the snow. It seemed to be three snowballs stacked on top of each other. Interesting.

"This is a snowman, to make your house nicer! He can be your friend when I'm not here."

"You... Consider me a friend?" Gallium was surprised. They'd never met anyone willing to be their friend before.

"Duh! What am I, a potato?" Charlie giggled at their own joke, and Gallium noticed they were shivering.

"Do you want to warm up?" Charlie nodded, walking towards Gallium, who sat down, and pulled them towards their chest, where their internal flame was. Charlie curled up against their chest, shivering slightly less now.

"You're toasty."

"I am not bread, Charlie." Charlie laughed.

"No, like you're warm." Gallium noticed that it was getting later in the day, and they recalled the time Charlie had to be home by.

"Is it supper time?"

"Not yet, but it's close here. Aww, does that mean I have to go?"

"Yes. But as promised..." Gallium unfurled their wings, and held Charlie in their claws, pressing them gently to their chest. They pushed off of the snow, launching into the air.

Charlie squealed the whole glide down the mountain. Gallium spread their wings even further, swooping down in a landing.

"Whoa! That was... Awesome! Can we do again some other time?" Gallium paused.

"Yes, we can."

Charlie would have quite a story to tell, if anyone believed them.

In this oneshot, Charlie would be about 8-9 years old. I had no ideas for romantic ones, so take some human/dragon friendship!