Bretta x Reader

Reader is a mantis warrior in this oneshot.

Y/n walked through the wastes, patrolling to outskirts of the village. They had been sent on yet another scouting mission, how dreadfully boring. They dashed across pools of acid nimbly, avoiding the foul smelling mushrooms.

"Ohhhhhh.... Ohhhhhh..." The warrior cocked their head. Had a challenger made it past the gates? Impossible, their security was near perfect, and even if one did, how would one so weak sounding still be alive? They descended, following the sounds of distress, finding a room with two shrumal warriors in it.

The mantis warrior dashed forwards, cutting one in half with their bladed forearms, and it leaked infected fluid on the ground beneath it. The other let out a battle cry, rolling forwards towards the warrior. They leapt nimbly out of the way, dashing back towards the mushroom and stabbing it.

"Ohhhh..." The mantis looked up. It seemed the sounds were coming from above them. The mantis narrowed their eyes, swearing to find whatever was making this noise. Y/n began scaling the wall, using their claws to haul themselves up it. They found themselves faced with a challenge, and area lined with spines, sticking out of the dirt. It seems it was a test.

A test they were going to pass. The warrior leapt nimbly from side to side, only getting light scrapes from some of the spikes. Soon, the arrived at the source of the sounds, a small beetle with orange, flickering eyelights. It was holding itself, and whimpering sadly. They seemed to be infected.

The mantis readied their forearms to run the poor thing through, sparing it the misery, when it murmured something rather interesting.

"Ohhh. Please don't forget me again..." The mantis stopped next to the beetle, and gently poked her with one of their arms.

"Trespasser. Awaken." The little beetle shook her head, and the mist dissipated.

"O-oh! Sorry about going on your territory! I just wasn't myself you see-" The little beetle squeaked in fear, holding their arms to protect their face. Y/n found it almost cute, in a way.

"Trespassing is trespassing. The bugs of Hallownest swore to leave us be." The mantis paused.

"But since you don't seem to be a threat, I will let you just leave."

"Oh, thank you so much, rescuer! What's your name?"

"I am called Y/n."

"Nice name. Mine is Bretta." The beetle fidgeted, rising to her feet shakily.

"I don't think we can go back that way." Bretta pointed towards the entrance. The mantis sighed, walking forwards to try and find a way out of the room. They did not expect the floor to give out beneath them, and they fell to the room below with a grunt. Fortunately, all they had were a few bruises.

"You will have to jump, Bretta. Is your shell strong enough?" Bretta seemed scared.

"C-can you try to catch me?"

"I suppose." They folded their arms so that the blades wouldn't impale Bretta. Bretta seemed to steel herself, before folding into a little ball and falling. The mantis caught Bretta, but fell to their knees from the impact. Bretta slowly unrolled, looking up into her saviour's eyes. The mantis set Bretta down, before rising to their feet.

"Can you walk the rest of the way out of the wastes with me?" Bretta nodded, a soft pink on her cheeks. The two journeyed though the whole village, being careful to avoid the sentries. The tribe wouldn't exactly be happy that the trespasser was allowed to live. As they neared the end, the warrior realized they had grown rather attached to Bretta, finding their presence calming.

"Hey, will I be able to visit you again? It's really boring up in Dirtmouth. And lonely... No one will remember me, I'm sure of it." Bretta fidgeted with her hands, looking up to the warrior.

"I'd have to visit you. The chances of you going into my village and surviving again are slim. But I would like to see you again. Your presence is enjoyable." Y/n smiled at Bretta, making the beetle flush slightly.

Bretta saw the queen's station, overgrown but still functional. Y/n had been kind enough to accompany them all the way to the bench. She rung the bell, the stagways shaking as the last stag arrived.

"Bretta. What a surprise to see you again. I thought you had been lost! Well, I assume you'd like to head back up to Dirtmouth?" Bretta nodded, but turned towards the mantis that had granted her mercy.

"I'll see you sometime soon, Y/n?" Bretta hugged the mantis as best as she could, despite their short stature. The warrior laughed softly, bending down to return the hug.

"Yes, I'd like to. Maybe in a week or so." Bretta pulled back, and boarded the stag.

"Have a nice rest of your day!" The stag ran out of sight, thumping sounds following down the hallway.

If someone had told Y/n they'd have a crush on a trespasser earlier that morning, they would've laughed, and asked for a sip of whatever they'd drank.