chapter 14

Saturday, 27th April

---

"I can already see the shelter from here!", Brody excitedly exclaimed. "I am so happy to give one of those abandoned dogs what you guys are giving me!", he beamed.

"We are glad you're so happy!", Amelia grinned at her son, ruffling his hear. Owen was driving and Teddy sat next to him, holding his hand. "Any ideas of what breed you want?"

"Nah, I'll just go in, ask the people some questions and see which doggo I can connect with the most.", the eight-year-old softly shared his plan.

"That's a wonderful way to tackle this.", his father praised. "But remember, no Husky or German Shepherd!"

"I already have a German Shepherd.", the boy joked. "Mom is Shepherd, Teddy is kind of German.", he giggled.

"Weirdo!", his mother chuckled and shook her head before she kissed his temple.

"We are here!", the little blonde loudly exclaimed and basically left the car the second it stopped.

"Good morning!", a young woman smiled at them. "My name is Anne and you must be Brody!"

"I am, hello!", the child replied. "Oh, hey!", he laughed as a Husky puppy danced around his legs and jumped at him in excitement.

"That is Lola. She is only two months old but was too much work for her owners, so they brought her here.", the supervisor explained.

"Because she probably has much energy, right?", Brody guessed as he crouched down to gently pet the beautiful puppy. "My dad told me so."

"Exactly! Also, Huskies are very stubborn. Teaching them commands is rather tough.", Anne informed the eight-year-old.

"Can we look at all the doggos and you tell me about them? My family has nothing else to do all day.", her counterpart asked.

"Sure, just follow me!", the woman smiled.

"Mommy, let's go!", the little blonde ordered when he saw his mother snuggle with Lola.

"Let's go ahead!", Teddy decided, giving the brunette a moment with the dog, since she wasn't really interested in animals.

"No Husky!", Owen reminded his best friend, taking a picture of her and the puppy for her.

"Come down here and pet her, old man!", the neurosurgeon demanded as the animal jumped into her arms and rested her head on her biceps.

"She is pretty cute!", the redhead agreed.

"Let's go and follow Brody, sweetie!", Amelia told the dog, still carrying it as they found their son cuddle with a Golden Retriever baby, a Yorkshire Terrier, and a Pitbull.

"Why do people think of Pitbulls as aggressive? Herman is literally just chilling on top of me.", Brody wondered, confused.

"Their actual personality traits are loyalty, courage, intelligence, clinginess, stubbornness and friendliness.", Anne softly replied. "How about we see a few more dogs and then you can tell me if you already made a decision."

"Good idea!", the little blonde nodded and met around ten more dogs, so it wouldn't be too overwhelming to choose for the kid. His mother was still carrying the Husky, which rested in her arms and looked up at her to lick her chin from time to time.

"I'll be right back, I have to take this call.", Teddy announced and walked out into the hallway once her phone rang.

"Alright little buddy, take your time to make a choice.", her boyfriend told his son and then walked over to Amelia, who was leaning against the wall. "You two are still snuggling!", he realized and chuckled. "Hey!", he laughed, as he leaned over the puppy a bit to pet it and received a kiss from it.

Owen's forehead unintentionally touched Amelia's but they just continued standing this way, leaning against each other, and staring down at Lola. For a second, the cardio surgeon felt a wave of jealousy hit her when she walked back into the room and saw them standing so close.

"I think I want Lola...", Brody mumbled unsurely. After all, she was a Husky. His father's eyes immediately met his. "She touched my heart the second she put her paws on my legs.", he explained.

"I think mama wants Lola too and she truly is a tiny angel.", the redhead sighed, again defeated by his own family. "What do you say, Teddy?"

"I like Lola.", she smiled.

"Then Lola it is.", Owen grinned.

"Lola it is!", his best friend agreed.

"Of course, we are bringing home a Husky.", he scoffed.

"That was inevitable the second you told us not to.", his girlfriend shrugged.

"You jinxed it.", Amelia agreed.

-----

a/n: If I can't ever have a Husky in this life, at least Brody gets to own such a wonderful animal. <3