chapter 22

Tuesday, 23rd July

---

"Thank you for letting me pick up this munchkin!", Evelyn smiled at her son, once he had let them in. Lola was immediately all over Brody and he giggled. "Where's Amelia?"

"Upstairs, hiding.", Owen sighed.

"Hiding from me?", his mother wondered, a little sad. "May I see her?"

"Mom, I don't know if that's a good idea...", the redhead pointed out. "But if you must.", he shrugged and watched her walk upstairs.

"Daddy is mommy not okay because of Christopher and the pregnancy?", his son questioned with compassion, not aware of his grandma still hearing them.

"Hey, honey!", Evelyn softly greeted the neurosurgeon, who was sitting at the edge of their bed, looking at her phone with the door open. "May I come in and sit with you?", she asked once she glanced up at her, actually looking afraid.

"I guess so.", Amelia mumbled and kind of nodded. "I know you hate me. You made that pretty clear last time I was with your son and even married to him."

"Hate you? Why would you think that, dear?", the grey-haired woman carefully questioned.

"Well, you are obviously a big fan of Teddy. When I was married to Owen and we brought Megan to the hospital I kinda neglected him and she was there. And you seemed to still be angry because I was late to my own wedding. So yeah, I am pretty sure you hate me.", the brunette answered. "Especially now that I destroyed his wedding with Teddy, who thinks I am a pregnant whore, which I cannot even blame her for since she must be deeply hurt. But yeah, I already heard that one, feel free to call me something else. And now I just won't stop talking, another part of my personality you most likely do not enjoy."

"Amelia, I never hated you! What I hated was seeing my son in an unhappy marriage but that was nature's fault. None of you could've known about the tumor and the fact that you guys are obviously still in love shows that this part was not an illusion. You are right, I have always adored Teddy but that doesn't make me like you any less, sweetheart! The one to blame for blowing the wedding is Owen, not you. She might not get it right now but she's in pain and I wish he would have handled the situation differently. Still, you are not the guilty one.", Evelyn replied. "The second you two moved back in together with Brody, I knew something was going on. But my son is an adult and I don't get to meddle as long as he's fine. Once he came over and shared the news of your pregnancy, his eyes already betrayed him when he said he'd be Uncle Owen. I knew he could never be just that, but it was his realization to come to. Please don't hide from me, I love talking to you!"

"I do too.", the neurosurgeon smiled.

"Brody wondered if you were upset about a Christopher and the pregnancy. Who is that?", her curious ex-mother-in-law asked.

"Uhm, I had a son. Before Brody, before Owen, even before Seattle in general. When I was living in LA. He was born without a brain and I held him for forty-three minutes. After that, he donated his organs, so other babies could live. Now you might understand my fear of getting pregnant better. Then it happened, because I was jealous of Teddy and Owen and I was reckless and yeah, here we are. My perfect husband still wants to be their father.", Amelia shared absentmindly.

"Babe...", the trauma surgeon's voice interrupted them. She had told him the whole story about Christopher shortly after their divorce, so it wasn't new to him. "You just called me your husband.", he couldn't help but beam at her.

"No, I didn't!", his girlfriend scoffed and grinned, amused by his ways of cheering her up.

"No honey, you really did.", Evelyn chuckled. "Thank you for telling me such a personal story about you. Wanna go eat ice cream with us? I promised Brody we would."

"Sure! In case you have any name suggestions and want to contribute, feel free to do so!", the brunette smiled.

"Yeah, about that...remember how I said one name each per day?", Owen asked and saw her nod in confusion. "Our son's ears don't totally function and therefore he is now writing a lot of names on both sides. However, we should see the fact that he's practicing writing instead of pointing out that this was not the deal."

"He's so adorable!", his best friend giggled.

"Wait until you see the first boys' name he added.", her boyfriend warned as the three of them walked downstairs. "Because it's-"

"ALFRED?", Amelia half-yelled-half-laughed as she read it. "You really want to have a brother named Alfred, dude?"

"Well, we would definitely have something to laugh about every day.", the little blonde informed his mother.

"He's not wrong!", Evelyn pointed out and laughed.

"Shall I wipe away 'Chicken Alfredo' then, yeah?", Brody tried to confirm with a grin on his face.