chapter 31

Friday, 9th June

- Brody: 13

- Elleny & Noah: 4 years, 5 months

- Leo: 3 years, 7 months

- Mila: 1 year

- Lola: 5 years (doggo)

---

"TEDDY!", Amelia screamed, holding on to her kids for dear life.

"She's dead, no worries! I'll be back in a few with a keycard, now that she showed me how to get to you.", the shooter informed the brunette creepily.

"Mommy!", the twins sobbed, their free arms wrapped around her legs. "We want daddy!"

"I want daddy too, sweeties!", the neurosurgeon sniffled. "But he won't hurt you, I won't let him."

"What does dead mean?", Elleny dared to ask.

"Badly hurt.", her mother lied softly. "I wish I hadn't brought my bag to the attendings' lounge earlier.", she cursed herself under her breath when suddenly the door was opened.

"Hello, there!", a man smirked. "Just so you know, I shoved the other doctor's body out of my way. She's been relaxing her whole life."

"What do you mean?", Amelia tried to make conversation to buy time while she pushed the children behind her legs.

"I won't hurt them. I just want to kill every person that works here, including you.", the shooter ignored her questioned and raised the gun to her head. "Dr. Amelia Shepherd, neuro department boss, not able to make sure the patients in this hospital are being well taken care of.", he bitterly scoffed. "Any last words to say to your kids?"

"Guys, do you remember our game 'Lines for Lions'?", the brunette questioned nervously.

"Yes.", her daughter mumbled, holding her brother's hand tightly. "Why?"

"He is going to shoot me and if he does, if you hear a loud noise, I need you to do what you would do if we played and I would have counted to ten. Can you do that?", the neurosurgeon tried to confirm.

"Uh huh!", Elleny replied again since Noah was too scared to.

"I wouldn't have done it that quickly but now I am rather curious.", the man shrugged, held the gun to Amelia's right shoulder and pulled the trigger.

"TEN!", she shouted in pain as her vision got blurry but at least, she could see her children run away through the open door. They weren't holding hands anymore, because the rule was to start behind the "lion" and run away on each side of it to confuse it as it opens its eyes.

"What a brave mama you are.", the shooter chuckled, watching the woman fall to her knees and stare up at him with teary eyes. "I have seen this look on so many faces today, time to stop that.", he decided, raising the gun back to her forehead.

"And what will it bring you to kill me?", Amelia wondered.

"I can't manage the pain by myself, so I have to inflict it to those who did that to me!", the man answered.

"You're not supposed to be managing it. You are supposed to be feeling it! Grief, loss, pain...it is normal.", the brunette got it together one last time while she felt the blood leave her body.

"It's not normal!", he coincidentally said the same exact words that she had used years ago when Owen had stopped her from taking drugs.

"It is! It is normal! Instead of moving through the pain, you run from it! Instead of dealing with being hurt and afraid and alone in this world when this horrible empty feeling is all there is, I run from it.", the neurosurgeon repeated his words. Words, she had been remembering all these years.

"Shut up, stupid bitch!", the shooter demanded as he grew madder.

"We do these things; we do whatever it takes to dull the sensation but it's not normal! We're supposed to feel, we are supposed to love and hate and hurt and grieve and break and be destroyed. And rebuild ourselves to be destroyed again, that is human. That is humanity. That's...being alive! That's the point, that's the entire point. Don't avoid it. Don't extinguish it!", Amelia finished and saw regret form in the man's eyes which was followed by him taking the gun away from her forehead.

"POLICE, HANDS WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM!", a cop yelled as she and her colleagues stormed into the room to arrest him. "Are you okay, ma'am?", she wondered.

"Yeah, I just need someone to fix up my shoulder. How's my friend? Is she...?", the neurosurgeon asked.

"She's alive. In critical condition but alive. You do have some very brave children though.", a male officer smiled a bit.

"Are they okay? I told them to run, I...I didn't know what else to do.", the brunette finally started crying.

"They are with their father. But before they were taken to him, they came to one of our colleagues to tell him where the guy was by remembering the three numbers at the sign at the door.", he explained.

"BABE!", Owen yelled while he was running over to her and wrapped his arms around her, careful to not touch her wound. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry, I should have been there to help you!", he sobbed.

"Are you guys alright?", his wife sniffled, letting him lead her into a trauma room, where he was going to treat her wound.

"We are. Alex helped me get the kids out of here and now he and Jo are with them until we are done.", the redhead confirmed and kissed her lips passionately. "I thought I'd lost you!"

"I thought I'd lost you, too!", Amelia cried. "I love you so much!"

"I love you more!", her husband told her before he kissed her again.

---

A/n: I do know I didn't use the entire speech. Some parts didn't seem to fit the situation though. :)