I Want To Hold Your Hand

I didn’t want that evening with Paul to end. This was only our first date but I already felt like I knew him. And he knew me. He had already worked out the ways to make me laugh and what to say to make me blush. He was incredible.

“I don’t want to leave” I said quietly to Paul when we had finished sharing the milkshake. Ed’s had such a great vibe that transported you to another place.

“Me either” he said, looking around at the diner. “But how about I pay then we go for a walk?”

“Okay” I agreed.

Paul put on his jacket and paid before we left Ed’s. It had grown cold outside. Oh how I wished my coat had pockets!

We walked along the street for a few minutes side by side. I blew on my hands and rubbed them together in an attempt to warm them up.

“Are you cold?” Paul asked, looking concerned.

“A bit” I admitted.

“Well, we can’t have that” he said. He stopped and took my hands in his, rubbing them more effectively than I had done. His hands were surprisingly warm despite the chill.

“Better?” He asked.

“Loads” I smiled gratefully.

He took one hand away but kept a hold of my right one as we continued to walk. Again I felt the same tingle of his touch. I never wanted to let go of his hand.

We passed a couple of shops on our walk, including ‘Dorothay’s Flowers’ – this cute little flower shop. Dorothay the owner was just locking up when we passed her by.

“Hang on” Paul said to me, letting go of my hand and turning back.

“Good evening Dorothay” Paul said in his usual charming voice, “could I please get a flower before you lock up for the night?”

“Sorry Paul, I’m already closed” she said.

“Ahh c’mon Dorothay? Please?” It’ll be really quick” he pleaded, “and you know your flowers are the best in town.”

Dorothay looked at Paul, then me and eventually gave in.

“Go on then” she said, “but hurry up.” She unlocked the door and Paul dashed in, gave Dorothay a coin and rushed out again.

“Cheers Dorothay!” He smiled before taking my hand once again. “I’ll tell Dad you said hello.”

“You do that” she said.

It seemed there were no limits to Paul’s powers of persuasion. I had also experienced them first-hand back in Strawberry Fields when he asked me on this date. He had a way of making me feel weak at the knees.

“A beautiful flower for a beautiful girl” he said placing it in my hair.

“It’s lovely” I blushed. He smiled down at me.

“Do you have to take the bus?” Paul asked.

“No, we can walk” I said, looking at my watch, we had enough time, Dad wouldn’t be back for hours yet.

“Great” he smiled then squeezed my hand, “I was hoping you’d say that.”

We talked while we walked to my house. It takes a good half an hour to get back from town, but it seemed to fly by in Paul’s company.

After a small break in our conversation I finally plucked up the courage to ask Paul a burning question that had been stirring in the back of my mind.