Misery

Everything happened so quickly after that. I figured Abby must have gone to the bathroom to powder up or something and when she came back she saw John kissing another girl. John.

 I jumped from Paul’s lap and he followed suit. I ran over to Abby.

“Abby!”  I called. She still seemed a bit startled then when she heard my voice she made a run for it and legged it to the door. I followed her. When I got outside I found her leaning against the door with tears streaming down her face.

“Abby” I breathed, going over to hug her. She just stood there whilst I put my arms around her and she cried into my shoulder.

“What happened?” I asked.

She wiped the tears away with the back of her hand and tried to get the words out.

“I…I just went to the powder room” she blubbered, “and I came back and I got my drink and-“ she was unable to go on after that.

I opened my arms again and she hugged me.

“Listen. John’s an idiot” I told her,” holding her by the shoulders and making her look at me. “He’s an idiot. He shouldn’t have been kissing that other girl.” She nodded. “You should go in there and tell him what you think of him.” She looked at me, “like the normal Abby would.”

She smiled a bit when I said that, reminding her of her usual self. The normal Abby wouldn’t stay out here crying over a boy. She would stand up to him and say what she thought. So that’s what I encouraged her to do. After a minute or so, the last tears were wiped away with a tissue that I had given to her.

“Okay” she said, trying to compose herself.

“Now you put your brave face on” I told her. She nodded and smiled at me.”

“Come with me?” she asked.

“Of course” I linked my arm with hers and marched back into the youth club.

John was still sitting where he had been when we left but the other bird had flown, thank goodness.

When we got closer to him and he saw us he stood up and Abby unlinked her arm from mine.

Marching up to him Abby did exactly what I told her to.

“You’re a jerk you know that?!” she yelled.

“Abby-“ he started. Abby couldn’t help herself so she slapped him across the cheek. People started to stare.

“Don’t!” she finished. John didn’t say anything more and with that Abby marched back out, a trace of triumph on her face. I was about to follow her when I felt someone touch my shoulder. I turned around and it was Paul.

“Michelle” he said.

“Oh Paul” I said, stepping into his open arms so he could hug me.

“I’m so sorry about John” he said with his chin on my head.

“It’s not your fault” I said into his chest.

“Guys what happened?” George had come over after hearing all the commotion. Paul explained.

“Oh John” George said annoyed. “Is Abby alright?”

“She will be” I said, “she’s outside.”

“Let’s go and see her” George suggested.

The three of us went outside and sure enough Abby was there sitting on a bench.

“Abby, we can go now if you want.” I said.

“No Michelle, I don’t want to ruin your night with Paul, you stay.” My heart ached for her.