We Can Work It Out

Abby and I returned to my house when it wouldn't seem suspicious that we weren't in school. We had waited until the afternoon, careful not to go back too early. The last thing I wanted was to wake up Dad and have him question us.

Ever since we had left Betty's I had been mulling over what she had said in my head. Thankfully Abby wasn't the type of person to ask if I'm okay every five minutes. I loved her for that. She did ask me though if I wanted her to come in with me but I told her I was okay, I just needed to think

We said goodbye at my door and she gave me a final hug. 

"I'm going round to George's, you call me if you need anything, anything, okay? Promise me."

"Promise" I said. Then she was gone. 

Dad greeted me when I entered the hall. I didn't want to seem rude even though I didn't feel like talking so I went into the kitchen to see him. He asked me how my day was. 

How was my day? Well, I bunked off school with Abby to go and spend time with Betty in her shop because I wasn't feeling up to school as I was still upset about what my boyfriend had told me the previous night. That was how my day had gone. Of course I said none of this to Dad so instead I went for the vague and ever popular 'fine'. 

Dad nodded at me without questioning further. "Sausages and mash okay love?" 

"Sounds great Dad" I answered. 

After our brief chat I retreated into the hallway.

"Hey Darcy" I said softly looking down to see him at my feet. He had miaowed to get my attention. I scooped him up in my arms and carried him upstairs  to my room. 

"What am I gonna do Darcy?" I asked him, stroking his ears. He purred then looked at me with his soft brown eyes. I kissed the top of his head and held him tight. 

Then I remembered that I hadn't written in my diary in quite a while so I went and pulled it out and started writing. It wasn't just Paul's past, the kind of person he used to be, that I was upset about, it was also because of our argument. More than anything I hated arguing with Paul. It didn't happen very often but I felt awful when it did. I also thought about what Betty had said, about her and Freddy and about second chances. 

* * *

I woke the next morning and got changed as usual. I wasn't feeling as bad as yesterday but I was still a little blue. Nevertheless I decided that I had to go to school today - I couldn't bunk of two days in a row. 

I met Abby at the bust and she smiled at me. I told her we'd better go to school today and she reulcantly agreed. I had no idea what sort of trouble we'd be in when we got there. 

Abby chatted to me on the bus about her time over at George's yesterday. She went on about how nice he was, how sweet and thoughtful. Abby swore she didn't tell him about what had happened between me and Paul and I was grateful. Then she told me that she had news. 

"Abby, what is it?" I asked, looking at her. "Is it about George?" She nodded. "Wait, you and George, did you y'know?" 

"Let's just say I'm following in your careful footsteps" she replied with a grin. 

Genuinely happy for her I said "Abby! This is big, congratulations!" 

She smiled and hugged me. I was thrilled that her relationship with George was going so well and whenever I saw them together George still looked as proud to be with her as the first day they became an item. 

When Abby and I got to registration as soon as we entered the classroom our tutor Mr Farty, sorry Pavarty I should say, gave us a stern look. I knew we were in trouble.