Hello Goodbye

This Christmas Day hadn't been what I was expecting in any way but it was surely one I was going to remember.

After John's stormy exit, the four of us - Paul, George, Abby and I, didn't quite know what to do. However Paul - and I silently thanked him for this - took charge of the situation.

"C'mon guys, let's go back to Michelle's."

We all obliged, Abby looked distraught and George held his bloody nose. I was still in rather a state of shock at all that had happened so quickly but Paul came up next to me and took my hand, squeezing it. He gave me a look that seemed to say 'everything's gonna be okay' and I wanted nothing more than to believe him.

When we trooped through the front door to my house Dad greeted us in a jolly voice exclaiming "Merry Christmas!" and I felt like laughing because his enthusiasm seemed to break the mood if only for a second. His obliviousness seemed slightly comforting as he was not yet aware of all that had happened in Strawberry Fields and I couldn't blame him for greeting us in a way that may be deemed insensitive.

But neither of us joyously answered "and a happy new year" as a dark cloud seemed to have dampened our Christmas spirit because of the morning's events.

"Dad" I said giving him a look and ushered Paul, Abby and George into the front room whilst I pulled Dad into the kitchen and closed the door.

"What's wrong?" He asked looking concerned, "hey you're one short aren't you? And what happened to George is it?"

I then proceeded to tell Dad all that had happened in Strawberry Fields.

"Oh dear" he said when I had finished.

"Yeah" I answered sadly.

"So I guess John won't be joining us for the day then?"

"I guess not" I said.

"Well, c'mon then, it is Christmas and you lot look like you need cheering up. It's present time."

I smiled at him and his efforts so left the kitchen and went into the front room where George was holding some tissues to his nose and Paul fiddled with his jacket. Abby still looked rather upset bless her.

"Right c'mob you lot, time for presents."

They all looked up at Dad as he smiled.

"Hang on Dad" I said, "we never do it without our Christmas tunes." I went over to the old record player in the corner and sifted through the records until I found what I was looking for.

The glorious crackling noise of the player as I placed the needle down cut through the room and was followed by the smooth voices of Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby singing White Christmas.

"Much better" I said, satisfied.

And in that moment where the five of us sat in our cosy little front room, the fire blaring, the walls and tree showered in decorations and all of us exchanging presents it did almost feel like Christmas again.

However as I gripped my warm mug of hot chocolate I knew that it didn't feel quite right without John. It felt like a piece was missing.

Dad had done his best to cheer everyone up. And I did see Abby give in to a smile once or twice.

We hadn't mentioned our argument and I didn't intend to bring it up - Abby already had enough to deal with - we all did.

I had gone to sit next to her and I hugged her telling her that I was here and she nodded in reply, thanking me.

Paul had also pulled me onto his lap as he gave me my present. I stared at the small circular package in my hand. It was incredibly thin too.

I took care pulling off the wrapping paper to reveal a small disc - it was a record.