Another Girl

"Hey Paul" Abby said coming downstairs, "looking dashing as always."

"As do you" he replied quickly, smiling. At that I felt a small pang of jealousy but almost as if Paul could read my mind he put an arm around my shoulder.

The jealousy disappeared as I looked up at the boy beside me. Oh how I wished that those perfect lips would never belong to another.

"Ready to go?" Paul asked the two of us.

"Yep" Abby said putting her coat on and clutching a small purse.

"Let's go then!"

"Yes" I said happily. In my excitement for Paul's arrival I had put my shoes on early.

As we walked through the door and I closed it behind us Paul took my left hand in his and looked at me.

"You look different today" he said. I figured he was talking about my hair.

"My hair's different" I said nervously, I wasn't sure if he would like it.

"That's it" he replied.

"Do you like it?"

"I like you any old way Michelle, you're always beautiful to me," I almost died inside, "you could probably wear a bin bag and I would still be attracted to you." Abby laughed with me.

"Oh I can see now why you like him" she said, "quite the charmer."

"Abby!" I nudged her. I didn't want her telling Paul about how I had sighed at the sight of him, or how I loved everything about his eyes. Or how I thought about him every second of every day. Although I didn't know how she would know about that last one.

"So Michelle likes me does she?" Paul smiled, playing along.

"Ask her yourself" Abby said, thankfully not telling him my secrets. Paul turned to me. I blushed finding the situation slightly awkward, it being three of us.

I nodded, smiling down at the ground as we walked.

"Maybe you'll tell me when we're alone?" He whispered. I nodded back at him. There was so many things I wanted to say to Paul. About how I felt about him, but being the shy girl that I am, things like this didn't always come easy.

We arrived at the busstop and waited in the cold. It was another breezy evening.

"The bus better hurry up" Abby said, crossing her arms trying to keep warm.

I buttoned my coat up and put my head down so that my chin was tucked inside.

Paul must have instinctively noticed that I was cold because his arms came in around my waist and he hugged me from behind. I looked up and saw Paul's face looking down from above me. As I said, he was quite a bit taller than me.

"I figured you might be cold" he said.

"Not anymore" I smiled.

Not long after, the bus arrived and we piled on and took seats at the back even though it was relatively deserted.

"Joh and George will be getting on at the next stop" Paul told us. Abby tried to supress a smile. I noticed.

Just as Paul had said, next stop, the two teddyboys casually got on the bus, and seeing us made a beeline for the back seats.

"Alright lads?" Paul greeted them.

"All the better for seeing you Paulie" John said jokingly.

"Ahh come off it" Paul answered.

John took the seat next to Abby, George sat on Paul's other side.

"Looking fine tonight dear" John said to Abby.