Chapter 3

Evan

Sunlight poured into the room. My eyes fell shut after opening to slits just moments ago. I was so tired. Then, my eyes snapped open. This wasn't my room. This wasn't my bed. My three roommates never allowed me to sleep this late. My upper body lifted from the bed and I cried out at the sharp pain. Suddenly, my entire body ached. Someone's hand landed on my shoulder and I closed my eyes in anticipation of the blow to come.

Long moments passed.

I opened my eyes again. Maverick's deep blue ones were staring back at me. Everything flooded back into my mind at once. I glanced at the bedside table. The water bottle sitting there was empty. I vaguely remembered Meverick waking me up a few times during the night and holding the bottle opening to my lips. So it wasn't a dehydration induced hallucination then, nor a dream. A rush of warm affection for him flooded my veins. I stamped it down. It was his fault we were in this situation. Soulbound bond be damned.

"Bathroom," I croaked out. Meverick shot up from the bed and helped me stand. I didn't hurt as much as I thought I would. Meverick opened the bathroom door for me and closed it again behind me.

I would heal over the next few days. Some elves, the powerful ones, could be healed of small wounds in a few hours. A stab wound could take a day and a bone break less than a week. I, however, was weak and all alone. My healing usually took almost as long as a human's. Even the small amount I've already healed was a blessing. It was probably from Maverick's presence. His touch made power flow through my veins. He must've held me all night, or I wouldn't have been able to move today.

I washed my hands after taking care of business. I avoided the mirror, knowing I'd find bruises all over my face and neck. I pulled the drawstrings on the sweatpants as tight as they would go. The top bunched around my waist. I looked at my stomach in the mirror. Could I truly be pregnant? I pressed on my stomach. It was quite hard, a lump just sitting there. Perhaps a small paunch even though I'd been losing weight. Maybe, then. I guess we'd need to find out.

The bedroom was empty when I walked through the door. I took a moment to look at the bed. It was now neatly made. The grey duvet straightened. Everything had been returned to how it was. In a few hours, I would have to go back to the dorms so that every aspect of Meverick's life could return to normal. He wouldn't want me here.

A smell drifted into the room. I prepared myself to run back to the toilet, but my stomach rumbled instead. I followed the scent to the kitchen. Maverick stood in front of the stove, still in his pajama pants and white t-shirt. He had a spatula in his hand and was humming to himself softly. I had to lean against the wall at the wave of longing that rolled through me at the sight. God, why couldn't he just want me?

He looked around then and his lopsided smile made the wave rise higher. "I'm making breakfast. I didn't know what you liked, but I can make something else if this doesn't look good."

I frowned. Nobody had ever made me anything before. Maverick sounded so unsure and I caught a glimpse of the bacon, eggs and mushrooms in the pan. It looked delicious.

Maverick shifted from foot to foot. "You don't like it. Let me get something else. Maybe-"

I looked at him in shock, horrified he thought I was this ungrateful. "Of course I like it! It smells amazing. Looks amazing, too."

A little bit of the tension left his shoulders. He fiddled with the heat on the stove before walking over to the island I now stood behind. Three chairs surrounded it. With the island between us, he felt so far away. I knew he'd leave me soon, so I had to get used to not having him close anymore. God, one night had turned me into a needy, clingy mess.