Epilogue

3 Years Later
Evan

A soft giggle stopped me in my tracks. I smiled, but purposefully turned away from the sound.

"Oh, I wonder where Matthew can be," I said teasingly.

Another giggle sounded.

Our little boy really liked hiding in the closet. We found him there every time, but we chose to postpone the find so that we could have fun for longer. Or perhaps so that we could have a moment's peace. Our little rascal was full of energy and was already beginning to wield water at such a young age. Another reason elven young didn't go to human kindergartens. By the time they reached school age, they should already understand the importance of hiding their magic.

I checked my watch. Maverick would be home in less than twenty minutes and I still had to cook dinner.

I turned into our room and slowly creeped across the floor. "There you are!" I yelled as I threw open the closet door.

Matthew squealed as I threw him into the air. Soon, he'd be too big for this. While his independence was much needed, it was also bittersweet. My little boy was growing up right in front of my eyes.

"Again, again!"

I laughed. Where he got his energy from, I'd never know. Most of the time, I wished I could borrow just a fraction of it to get through the day.

"No luck, little man. We need to make dinner for your father." He appeared crestfallen and I could already see the tantrum coming. "Maybe you could get your colouring book and make him a pretty picture?"

I held my breath, hoping he'd accept it. He was just as headstrong as his Maverick. Once either of them made up their minds, it was near impossible to change it.

He seemed to consider it. Suddenly, he wiggled in my arms and I gently set him down.

I ambled to the kitchen, knowing that Matthew would soon either bring his things to sit with me, or get distracted in his room and disappear for half an hour. I would admit I loved that he could finally entertain himself for a little while without me. Even if I still enjoyed our hide and seek games.

I quickly started dinner and joined Matthew to sit at the table when he brought his drawing supplies into the kitchen.

He looked so much like Maverick in some ways. Same dark hair and blue eyes. His features, however, were all me. His face looked soft and gentle, his gaze always so full of love.

A pang went through my heart.

At Matthew's first pediatrician checkup, the doctor had informed us that he was a bearer. While my heart had sunk to my shoes in that moment, Maverick had simply smiled and thanked him. Since then, both of us had actively worked to better our world for bearers. While we couldn't do much, we assisted the council in everything they needed. Iridessa ran them with an iron fist and together with the local academies of every region, they brought the clans to heel. All clans now had to follow strict rules about bearers in their care and the council's doors were always open to make complaints. It was up to the community to keep everyone in line and report any lawbreakers.

The clans who refused were cast out. They were unable to attend academies and not allowed to ever apply for a job in the elven world. Very few of these clans remained, and those that did, had very few members as most people had left to join clans with more privileges and a better reputation.

Overall, our world was becoming a safer and more inclusive space for all elves.

A key truning in the lock caught my attention. I smoothed my hand down Matthew's hair and kissed his forehead. Leaving him at the table, I greeted my soulbound at the front door.