Chapter 4

Maverick

I was so incredibly thankful it was the weekend. If I hadn't found Evan by the lake on a Friday, I wouldn't have been able to look after him as well as I could now. I had a mirror above my dresser and as I came out of the bathroom after having showered, I caught Evan staring intently at himself in it.

"The bruises are healing. I don't know how they feel, but they look much better." I said, grabbing the clothes I'd laid out for me on the bed and standing awkwardly, debating whether I should get dressed in my room, or go to the bathroom.

Evan sighed. "That's just it. They do look better. But I don't understand why."

I decided that continuing the conversation was worth the possible backlash and dropped the towel to get dressed. Evan had said that we should grow more comfortable around each other, after all.

"Well, I won't be able to say for sure as I don't know your usual healing speed," I began, pulling my black boxer briefs up my thighs. "But I can make a pretty good guess. You've never been fully accepted into a clan from the sound of it. Living with others and being accepted by them are two wholly different things."

I paused as I saw his eyes intently focused on my chest. I smiled and seductively ran a hand over my pecs after I finished buttoning my jeans. Evan gulped. He saw me watching and his cheecks went bright red. "Yeah, so?" His voice was slightly higher than normal.

I slipped my shirt over my head and began tidying the room now that we were both done. "So now, you're not alone anymore. I'm here. And by sleeping together last night, I could comfort you with my touch and your body could begin healing because you were safe and cared for. Even a clan of two is still considered a clan."

Evan contemplated my words for a few seconds as he watched me hanging up the wet towels. "So will my healing always be faster?"

"If we remain together and interact the way soulbounds are supposed to, then yes. Your magic will improve, too. And once you are accepted into my birth clan, you'll be even more powerful."

Evan suddenly looked scared. His body went rigid and his eyes wide. "They'll never accept me! I'm...me."

My heart ached when he said such negative things about himself, but I reminded myself that that was all he'd heard his whole life. Even I had contributed to his self-loathing. I hoped to hear the whole story of his life one day. "They will. You're my soulbound. And you're not an asshole, so there is no reason not to accept you."

He opened his mouth to argue, but I wasn't having it. "Have you had something to drink yet, today? Water, I mean," I quickly interrupted.

He huffed. "No. I'll go get some. Water bottles in the fridge?" I nodded and he was gone.

I vowed to myself right then and there that I would do whatever it took to make Evan see how amazing he was. Once my clan met him, they'd feel the same way. They were my family. It was a small clan near the academy. It was one of the deciding factors in moving back here. Even though I'd been accepted into other clans while teaching elsewhere, they'd never really felt like home.

There were only about fifty elves in my clan. But we were powerful. Most of us were spread out and only went home over weekends to care for the forest surrounding our home location. While we all had permanent rooms in Kelburry Lodge, the clan grounds, we mostly lived where we worked. Jackson and I lived at the academy. Many other members were also professors at different academies and some fulfilled roles on the council or the elven daycare centres. Only our clanmaster and about twenty members stayed at the lodge full-time. But we all knew we had a home to go back to, and that was enough to keep our power strong.