Chapter 7

Evan

The sharp twinges in my back woke me long before the sun rose in the sky. I was trying to decide whether this was the real thing, or whether it was just more braxton hicks contractions like I've been feeling for the last month.

I slid my hand over my mound of a belly. I just needed one more day. Today was the last of my written finals. The other students would then move on to practicals, but I was graciously awarded an extension. I just needed until midday to finish the first part and take my first steps to be done with this year.

Another sharp pain reminded me that I might not have that long.

I carefully slipped out of bed, mindful not to wake Maverick. He'd only worry. It would be fine. First babies usually took a long time. And the twinges were more uncomfortable than anything else.

I quickly showered, dressed and was preparing breakfast when strong arms slipped around me from behind. Maverick nuzzled the juncture where my neck met my shoulder, carefully caressing my belly. At 40 weeks pregnant, I was impressed he could even still reach around me.

"Hey, beautiful. Sleep well?"

He let me go to pour us both orange juice. I bit my lip. Was I supposed to tell him that I'd been feeling... off? I brushed it off. It was probably just practice contractions anyway.

"Pretty well, considering. Can't wait for this last final to be over, though."

Furnishing our new house was coming along nicely. It was a bit more of a drive to get to the academy, but it was my last year anyway. Maverick would be the one having to deal with the fifteen minutes extra each day. I plated our food and placed it on my brand new dark oak table. I loved the contrast of all the dark oak furniture with the modern white and grey fabrics and walls. I could hardly believe I co-owned the house.

We idly chatted through breakfast. I only had to pause once when I felt a sharp pain. I sure hoped they'd fade before I had to take my test.

Maverick drove us to the academy, subtly trying to change the topic every few minutes back to the car he wanted to buy me, even though I'd said I didn't want anything to do with the decision. At first, I'd refused. I couldn't drive and since we'd already decided I would be staying home with the baby, there was no need for one. But he made the compelling argument that he could teach me how to drive and that I'd have transportation in an emergency. 'What if the baby choked, or you had to go to the park?' he'd wisely asked. I'd laughed, asking him what kind of park emergency could there possibly be. His response, 'ice cream is always an emergency', had left me amused the whole day.

Once at the academy, we kissed each other goodbye. I still got a slight head rush when we did it in public. Maverick stroked my belly one last time before he disappeared into the gym that housed the pool. I sighed. Time to take on the long trek to the quad. It wasn't usually so bad, but the baby was sitting low today.

We still hadn't named our little boy. We had a few names we were considering, but decided we would know the right one when we saw him. At least, I really hoped that was true, because I was terrible at decisions.

Chelsea and Bea waved excitedly when they saw me, Kevin looked relieved. "Torturing poor Kevin with make-up tales again?" I asked, playfully scowling.

Chelsea scoffed. "He knows he likes it."

Kevin huffed while I smiled. I couldn't believe I had three friends in my year. Random people even now waved at me as I passed them in the halls. Instead of looking away, people smiled when they made eye contact with me. While I'd love to say it was all because everyone now rejected the Hennecky Clan, it probably had a bit to do with me, too. While I was insecure and without hope before, I now radiated confidence and happiness. It wasn't all Maverick, though. Most of it came from just believing for myself that the years of slurs thrown my way was bullshit. I had to figure it out myself first before I was ready to hear from Maverick how beautiful and amazing he thought I was. I still knew I was far from perfect, but I believed him when he said I was just right for him and more than good enough for others.