Chapter 6

Evan

Jackson was waiting for us in front of our house. His grave expression made my blood run cold. It was not often you saw him unhappy, so the demeanor change was unsettling. He approached the car as Maverick was helping me out.

"They want you in the auditorium."

Maverick simply nodded.

"You want me to change?" I asked, grimacing as I took in my jeans and shirt, my belly on full display.

"No. They already know and it's not like out outfits will make a difference." Maverick took my hand and all three of us made our way across campus.

We received some stares on our way. For the first time, people could see that I was not only pregnant, but also in a relationship with a professor. I smiled. Luckily they couldn't treat me any worse.

Jason and Gordon were leering at us as we took the steps to the auditorium. There were secret smiles on their faces. Maverick and Jackson glared at them.

Even though this was scary, I was a little bit glad it came out. My belly was getting harder to hide and it would become even more difficult as time went on. Even the oversized shirts and hoodies were getting to be a bit obvious. And it was so hot to layer up.

Maverick took a moment to steel himself before he pushed open the heavy door. Jackson would wait outside, ready if we needed him.

My hand was sweating, but Maverick didn't seem to care as he just gripped me tighter.

The meeting auditorium consisted of curved tables set in a circle with an opening on one side. There were three wooden tables seating four people each. It was specifically here if a council meeting was ever called at the academy. The middle was left bare for the accused -apparently us- to stand. Everything was brightly lit and modern white, in stark contrast to the dark clothes of the twelve elders already seated.

I gulped.

As soon as we took our place in the ring and faced the middle table, a man stood up.

"You have been accused of coercing a student into a relationship with you, Professor Maverick Monroe. How do you plead?" The elder's voice sounded tired and crackly.

"Not guilty," Maverick said clearly.

The elders gave him looks ranging from astonishment to anger, looking quite obviously at our clasped hands and my belly.

"Well, what would you call this then?" The elder motioned to me. If the elders appeared in front of others, only the head elder is allowed to speak. The others are allowed to negotiate, raise questions and give opinions when the council meets in a different room to discuss what happened. They want to appear as a united front. It was ancient protocol.

"His name is Evan, not this. And I'd call him my soulbound. Parent to my child. Love of my life." He paused and took a deep breath. "But I will admit... I must also call him my student."

Eyebrows were raised and little scoffing sounds reverberated around the room. Maverick had told me to let him do the talking, which was fine by me as I had no idea what to say. Why couldn't we just be left alone?