28

Dream takes the collar of his shirt up to his face. Wet splotches form as it picks up his sweat, darkening the color of the bright flowers patterned on his Hawaiian shirt. He puts it back into its place, unbuttoning and loosening the top few buttons to give himself some fresh air. His dry mouth and remembering the ice cream shop he saw on the way out doesn't help his situation. Just a little longer, then you can have some water. He repeats to himself like it's a game to see how long he can wait.

Karl saying the hike was small wasn't exactly correct. Maybe the heat makes it seem harder than it actually is. A small headache begins to form a band of tension across his forehead. 

Dream didn't get much sleep the night prior. They had stayed up late playing multiple games of pool in their basement. Not only did their basement come with a pool table, but also space to mess around, causing for one eventful night. He was tired, but his brain couldn't shut off. Something was occupying it and still is.

The uneven ground begins to flatten out under his rubber soles. He can walk with ease now. The distant and family sound of waves crashing onto a beach slowly meet his ears. Finally.

"Thank god, I was about to start complaining," George gasps as he immediately makes his way towards the water, wasting no time to get in. Karl chuckles as he sets his things down.

"Are you not gonna put your things away?" Karl calls out to him. George holds his items close to his chest and does little hops to avoid the small waves breaking the glassy surface. Dream can't help but smile.

"Just give me a second. I need to cool off," George calls back. He hesitantly walks through the water, his trunks already getting soaked. He eventually heads back to the shore. Sand collects to the water beading on his wet skin. He leaves a trail of water to their spot.

He dumps his bag onto the sand under a shady tree and searches for his water bottle. All of them drink in silence, letting the water hydrate their parched mouths and soothe their headaches.

A few other people surround the area, but they pay no attention to the group. Families and couples search the beach for shells. Many kids dive down to the bottom of the ocean to find more.

"This looks even better than the photos you showed me," Sapnap remarks as he glances to Karl. Karl shifts his stance, sinking into the powdery sand.

"I agree."

Dream unbuttons his shirt and places it in his bag. Without saying more, he makes his way into the water and begins to float in the calm water past the waves. His friends watch him silently.

Karl quickly takes off his shirt and runs after Dream. Karl closes the space between them, Dream still doesn't notice. He jumps into the water next to him, tackling and pulling Dream under the water. They both come up laughing and drenched.

"Feel like joining them?" Sapnap asks George with a giggle.

George inhales, "uh, I think I'll stay out here for a bit. I don't know if I want to get all wet right now."

"Alright, well you know where to find us," he softly smiles and follows in Karl's path to the water.

~~~

George makes his way along the shallow water and mini tide pools as he follows his friends slowly drifting through the current. His plastic cup fills up with anything that catches his eye. He takes occasional glances out to the ocean to make sure he hasn't lost his friends. The ended up finding a small ball in their bags to throw around. It seems that they enjoy playing "keep the ball away from the shortest friend." The ball flies over Sapnap's head as he desperately tries to snatch it from the air.