The Dagger

~Rosie~

'You're going to be late for breakfast.'

I jolted up from my bed in surprise as her voice echoed through my mind.

I groaned as I fell back down on my back, "So you're my alarm clock now?" I wondered out loud.

'Today's going to be a busy day, I just want you to have a full stomach.' she mothered.

I rolled my eyes, "And now you can tell the future?"

'No, but I still suggest that you listen to me.'

I sighed and got up from the bed to get ready for the day. For the past week, we've been mixing black magic into my normal training, but nothing too strenuous like the first time. She told me that black magic was draining, but I expected to get used to it at some point. I have not gotten used to it.

"Hey, earth to Rosie." Jocelyn said as she snapped her fingers in my face.

"Huh?" I asked as I snapped out of my zoned out state.

The memory of getting out of bed and making my way down to the courtyard was blurry, it was like my body was on autopilot. The courtyard was just a small square of land in the middle of the property. It was right near the kitchen, so many people came out here for breakfast. The table consisted of everyone other than Emma, Amelia, and Miles. Emma had some sort of early morning training, I assumed Amelia was in the lab, and Miles was taking extra teleporting lessons.

"You're training with us today, remember?" she reminded, making Jamal roll his eyes.

"Oh, right." I yawned before taking a bite out of my breakfast. Although no one other than Emma and I needed to eat real food, we had a kitchen staff who made real meals for those who wanted to eat just because.

"How late did you stay up last night?" Luna asked in a worried tone.

"Uh, 4 I think?" I mumbled as I tried to wipe the sleep from my eyes.

I sensed something flying toward me, but my reflexes were too slow to stop it, causing me to get hit in the face with a cereal box.

"Ow..." I groaned as Luna gave Lilith a glare.

"I wanted to see if she was telling the truth." Lilith defended.

"Sleep is for the weak. I haven't slept in 15 days." Kevin bragged as he sipped rabbit blood out of his cup.

Another thing that I found interesting about vampires was that many of them were against drinking human blood. Jamal, Kevin, and, surprisingly, Lilith were among them. It was something they were teased about on the daily.

Jamal's eyes glowed a slight gold as he flicked his finger in Kevin's direction, making the blood spill all over his face.

The sight made a quick vision ripple through my mind of him coughing up black blood on a baseball field, making me jump slightly in my seat. The vision ended as soon as it started, bringing me back to reality immediately. My heart raced as I looked around the table, but everyone was too focused on Kevin to notice. If I wasn't awake before, I definitely was now.

"I think you need to take a nap, Kev. You're spilling everywhere." Jamal snickered.

"Haha, very funny." Kevin rolled his eyes as he dabbed the blood off his shirt.

There was a small pause in the conversation, "Lilith how's shifting training going?" Jocelyn asked with a smirk. I snickered slightly at the memory of walking in on her the other day.

She glared at me, "Can we not talk about this?" She asked as she placed her empty cup on the table

Kevin scoffed, "She's doing great, she's just being modest."