Chapter 1

That's it.

"I don't see what the problem is. You're about to be the last eligible man in New York. You know, there's three and a half million women here."

It's not like I had anything left to lose.

"Well, I'd settle for just one."

One more step.

"Good thing I took care of that."

One more deep breath.

"Hey Steve, wait with the girls... I'll... I'll be right back. Yes doll, we are going dancing right after this. And we're going to dance till our feet fall off."

Why was I hesitating?
One more last LAST deep breath I guess.

"That's ... that's pretty high, you know ..."

I flinched slightly as I realised that I was not alone anymore. A young man, probably in his twenties was leaning on the fence of the Brooklyn Bridge just a few steps away.

For a few seconds I stared at him. He was not supposed to be here. I didn't plan to spend the last few seconds of my life talking to a stranger who obviously had places to be.

I shook my head and looked back down at the water, admiring the sparkly reflection of the full moon. "Yeah that's the whole point." I almost whispered as my left eye started itching slightly just as if a tear was fighting to get out of my eye. However, I fought back and didn't let it fall.

Carefully he took another step to get a little closer, making me shot him with my cold, hopeless, empty eyes. Immediately he leaned his elbows on the fence, once again, to make it seem like he didn't move at all.

"Can you please go away? I have stuff to do ..." I said, as my grip around the fence loosened a bit. I was standing there for a while now and I was clearly getting tired.

"Stuff ..." he repeated after me while nodding, just as if he understood what I was talking about. "Can those ... stuff ... wait? Me and my friends are going to the expo. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you join us." he said as his eyes glanced at my hands every once in a while.

I laughed sarcastically, a little too hard, which almost made me completely let go of the fence. Immediately he reached for my arms, to catch me before I could fall.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" I yelled while trying to calm down. My heart was racing and it was getting harder to breathe. I was starting to feel a little lightheaded.

He moved his hands away but didn't take a step back.

I rolled my eyes as tears started streaming down my cheeks. "Please. Go away. I have to do this." I breathed out, letting go with one hand to wipe off the painful tears.

"Do what?" he asked innocently, looking up at me.

It took just one quick look to notice how beautiful and honest his eyes were. My heart skipped a beat as he didn't break the eye contact.

So I had to be the one to look away. "I'm standing on the outer side of the fence. Probably not planning to dance, am I?" I said sarcastically, probably a little too rude since he seemed like a genuinely good guy.