Chapter 16

"Cress, you're back! How did the interview go?" Becca asked as soon as I entered the kitchen.

"It went really well! The woman I talked to was super kind and ... guess what?? I got the job!" I excitedly explained and sat down by the kitchen table, tapping my hands on the hard surface, unable to hide how relieved I was that it all ended just the way I wished for.

"That's wonderful darling!" Mrs. Barnes couldn't hide how proud she was, giving me a quick genuine smile while pealing the potatoes for the dinner.

"I start tomorrow at 7 in the morning. They even trusted me with the keys already!" I smiled widely, took the keys out of my pocket and proudly waved them in the air.

"Of course they did! I'm so happy for you darling. It's nice to finally see you smile." Mrs. Barnes continued, waving Becca off to get the table ready.

Honestly, it truly was a bit ... odd. In the morning I couldn't be more upset over the fact that I woke up and now ... it was like I was more than fine. Like the pain was gone. As if I couldn't care less about ... practically anything ... even Bucky's death.

The sudden realisation made my chest feel heavy and I could feel my hands turn cold. I was back to feeling the pain of the loss, even more intensively than ever before.

What was happening to me?!

"Cress ... what is that?" Becca asked as she put the plate and a fork in front of me yet her eyes were focused on something else. On my sleeve that was covered with ...

My eyes widened and filled up with tears. Quickly I stood up, staring at my sleeve. "I ... I don't know. It must be ..."

"It looks like ... dried blood." Becca continued, her forehead frowned in confusion and a little worry. That got Mrs. Barnes attention as well.

"What did you fall into? Oh sweetie don't worry, it's probably just dirt or something ... I'll do the laundry tomorrow so take one of the jackets from James's old closet when you leave in the morning, yeah?" she tried to comfort me yet I could hear her voice tremble as she mentioned her son.

"Thank you." I said quickly before rushing out of the kitchen, tears already rolling down my cheeks. I've seen dried blood many times before and this was definitely it. Panicking I ran upstairs and locked the door, immediately pulling the coat off me and threw it on the floor.

My breathing speeded up and soon I was hyperventilating and sobbing like crazy. And I didn't even exactly know why.

"Cress? Everything alright?" Mary knocked on the door softly, obvious worry in her voice.

"Yeah. I'll be downstairs for the dinner." I tried to sound as I usually do. After I said the last word I quickly covered my mouth to not let out any crying or sobbing sound, feeling lightheaded from all the emotional pain I was feeling at that moment.

After about five minutes I was finally able to breathe a little more properly. Slowly I reached for the coat and held it in my shaking hands, staring at the stain with widened eyes, trying to remember where it came from.

"I went to the interview ... and after I finished I went straight home." I tried to remember how I spent my past few hours. Something was off. I looked at my watch. Hours. I had my interview at 1pm. Now it was past 6pm. The chat I had with that lady didn't last more than an hour and the house I went to was practically 15 minutes away.

Where have I been for at least three hours and why was I not able to recall memories from this afternoon?

Frustrated, upset and even slightly angry I threw the coat to the other side of the room. It hit the mirror which broke into pieces.