Chapter 3

"Cressida!"

The sudden call of my name made me jump a little, slightly shocked I turned around back at the house I ran out of just a few moments ago. I took a quick look around, for some reason expecting that there was, by some weird coincidence, another Cressida around.

My eyes widened at the sight of James running towards my way as if his life depended on it.

"Cressida ..." he repeated himself when he stopped by my side, trying to catch his breath, leaning his hands on his slightly bended knees.

For a moment I thought he was going to pass out so I automatically put my hand on his shoulder and leaned closer to see his face more clearly. "James -..."

Slowly he raised his head so his face was just a few inches away from mine, almost immediately his breathing got back to normal and a mischievous smirk spread over his face.

I groaned loudly and pushed him away, realising that he was just faking it. "Fat head." I mumbled while rolling my eyes and started walking away once again.

"Ease up doll, I was just messing with you." James found the situation way more hilarious than it was, following me once again.

"Get lost. Seriously James." I gave him an icy glare, however, as my eyes met his, it felt like I got punched in the stomach but instead of it causing me pain, it made me feel as if I got light as a feather.

There was something about him that made me feel weird, strange, unnatural ... I liked the feeling but I hated that I was feeling that way. Did this make any sense?

"Where are you heading?" he completely changed the subject, catching up with my step, now walking by my side. His hands were tucked in the pockets of his cargo pants.

"Do you always care so much about random women around Brooklyn and make your life mission to be their pain in the neck?" I said, still a little mad at him for his childish, stupid trick.

"Only the ones I find hanging off the bridge." he responded casually but I could see his face expression change slightly.

"Happens a lot?" I asked a little more quietly, looking up at him. If the situation was different his words would probably hit hard. But at that moment I understood them in a completely different way, I just wasn't sure if I got them right.

"You are the first one." he responded, glancing down at me for a moment, his lip corners raising up a bit.

I could feel my cheeks burning up slightly as we locked eyes for a little too long yet still not long enough, before I quickly focused back on my feet.

"But you still don't have to follow me around, you know? I promise to give you your clothes back." I said, stopped walking as we reached the riverside.

"No, keep those. They are yours now. I told you they look better on you anyway." he shrugged before taking a one long quick step to get in front of me, turned around so I was facing him as he kept walking backwards.

"Then what else do you want James?" I asked, trying to walk past him but every time I speeded up, so did he.

"I want you to promise me something." he said, making me freeze on the spot and look up at him, completely confused about what was on this man's mind.

"Why would I promise you anything?" I crossed my arms on my chest, half closing my eyes to let him know I wasn't a fan of whatever was on his mind.

"Do you seriously have to question every single one of my words?" he chuckled before taking off his cap and tapped his thigh with it as if he was a little nervous.