Chapter 10

"Give me a reason to carry on, Buck..." I whispered into his shoulder. I wasn't crying anymore but being in his hug was the only thing that made me forget everything. I wished he would never let me go.

But I knew he had to. Of course he did. Until the war was over he was never going to stop leaving even if he knew that it could be the last thing he would do.

"You still owe me a dance." he whispered into my ear, a slight playful tone in his voice - the one that I missed so badly.

"This is a bad reason." I chuckled slightly before raising my head off his shoulder and looked up, straight into his eyes that were already focused on me.

"It works for me." he shrugged and smiled before gently moving a strand of hair that got stuck to my wet cheek.

"What do you mean?" I asked softly, trying to ignore the way my stomach made a few back flips when he traced his fingers over my skin.

"War is hell. Having something to look forward to was the only thing that kept me sane when ... when things got bad." he clearly didn't want to go much into detail about being captured by Hydra and I was definitely not going to make him talk about something he wasn't ready to share.

"I should go. Or I'll really get fired ... if I'm not already." I sighed and slowly moved my hands off his uniform. I didn't even realise that my arms were still wrapped around him but as soon as the reality hit me, my heart started pumping like crazy.

"Wait ..." he said quickly and softly yet determinedly before sliding his hand up my cheek and broke the space between us that I made after taking a step back, ready to leave.

His actions caught me by surprise. I didn't know what to do, what to say or why I was feeling the way I did. Feeling the way I only felt when Bucky was around.

My eyes stayed focused on him until he started to slowly lean in, his lips getting closer and closer to mine. His warm mint breath was already hitting my skin and soon enough I knew what he was doing. Trying to do.

After a short fight with anxious thoughts in my head, I closed my eyes, already feeling his lips tracing mine for less than a second that felt like forever ...

"Sergeant Barnes!"

Bucky groaned, clearly annoyed, turning around as soon as I took a step away, nervously wrapping my coat around my body even more tightly.

"What?!" he questioned and glared at the familiar soldier who was standing a few meters away.

"Uhm ..." the soldier, who I recognised as Jones, kept glancing from me to Bucky a few times before actually speaking up. "Captain Rogers and Agent Carter would like to have a word ... with you."

"Damn you Steve..." Bucky shook his head before once again taking a turn to face me, trying to say something but instead just stared right into my eyes that were now, once again, having trouble to keep the eye contact.

"... I mean now. They want you to come over as soon as possible." Jones added, making sure he was loud enough so we would hear him while slowly taking a few steps forward.

"I'm sorry. I can just ignore them all and ..." Bucky almost whispered so only I could hear him.

"Go ... they need you." I interrupted him, of course not letting him to get in trouble because of me ... even though that I knew - I needed him too.

"... they said it's urgent." Jones kept interrupting and even I got annoyed by his pushy behaviour.

"You got a problem man?! If they need me, they'll wait!" Bucky practically lost his patience.