Chapter 17

I frowned my forehead as I woke up with the most horrible headache I ever had. I slammed one of my hands over my face, trying to block the annoying light that was trying to make me open my eyes.

With my other hand I traced the surface I was laying on, immediately realising that those were definitely not the bedsheets. It was ... grass maybe?

"Oh, fudge ..." I mumbled as the memories from the last night started coming into my mind.  The mirror ... dinner with the Barnes family ... running away ... Brooklyn Bridge ... the necklace ...

How on Earth was I still alive?!

The last thing I remembered was standing on the outer side of the fence and a ... stabbing pain in my neck?

Quickly I sat up and opened my eyes, looking around. I was sitting on the ground of some kind of a park. It seemed very early, around the sunrise, and there were no people around yet. I blinked a few times, trying to remember how I got there. I also started feeling extremely cold. That's when I looked down at my clothes that felt uncomfortable, as if they were wet and dried quite a few times.

A scream of horror left my mouth, my heart stopped as I noticed my arms fully covered in blood, my dress full of bloody stains and my hair having weird texture as if it got wet and dried and then the tips got covered with blood once again ... it was horrifying. Scary. I couldn't understand how I ended up this way.

Firstly the unexplainable blood stain on my jacket and now this? Once again I lost hours of my life, not knowing what I was doing during that time. Before the streets would get crowded by people I rushed over to the Barnes house. My home.

It seemed as if everyone was still asleep so I, as quietly as I could, went up to Bucky's room. As fast as I could I took off all of my clothes and got changed into fresh ones that weren't covered with unknown person's blood. I hid the old clothes in the corner of the closet and sneaked to the bathroom.

The thought of the image from when I woke up suddenly caused me to throw up - a few times. Washing my mouth barely took away the disgusting taste yet it was the best I could do at that moment. With shaking hands, water and soap, I tried to get rid of the blood on my hands and from behind my nails. A few minutes later I slowly raised my head once again, seeing the reflection of my face in the mirror.

"I don't understand ..." I said out of breath, turned on the water and tried to quickly wipe off a few drops and stains of dried blood that were creeping on my cheeks.

A part of me wanted to know what have I done to end up this way. But to be honest I was terrified. Being covered up with that much blood that wasn't mine seemed as if ...

No. I could never kill anyone. I could never do that, no matter what.

I left the bathroom, quietly passing the closed door of Becca's room. However, it was a bit surprising that Mary's door were wide opened. Did I wake her up? What if she saw me before I could get changed?

I made my way to the other side of the hall where her room was. Just to check if she was asleep and if her doors were opened by a complete coincidence. Cause she never left them open or even unlocked sometimes. For some reason I felt my chest getting heavier. As if a part of me believed that something was wrong.

Why? Why would anything be wrong?

As I stepped in between the doorframe, my breathing stopped. My legs gave in under the weight of my body. Then the flashbacks hit me. Faded memories. All at once.

/flashbacks/

"Cress? Is that you?"