Chapter 2 - Reflection's Lie*

2.

Reflection's Lie

 "...!...rise...!...awaken...! Such inadequate...!"

Reyna opened her eyes but couldn't focus on anything except the voice she heard. What?

"Rise, wench!"

She jumped to her feet, eyes darting at the familiar yet empty living room. Relief overwhelmed her. Of course there was no blood. It was all just a stupid, disturbing dream.

"Such was not a dream."

Reyna gasped. "Who's there?"

"Ignorant mortal."

She whirled around to where she thought the voice was coming from, but it seemed to surround her as if it was inside her own head. Reyna's eyes roamed the walls of the living room, looking at the wire flowers and family portraits. It was when she saw the giant mirror hanging over the love seat that her blood ran cold. She walked to it, each step slow, uncertain, and kneeled on the couch cushions. The mirror's surface was cool under her fingertips, confirming what she saw on it was real.

"But that's not me," she whispered, her anxious breaths fogging up the polished glass.

It reflected a male. He was young and handsome with sharp jaw lines and prominent cheek bones. His eyes, however, were haunting. Their dead black color burned with arrogance and slyness. Long and untamed hair swept past his shoulders, framing his features like a splintered coffin. Though only a reflection on a mirror, he radiated of blood and death.

Reyna opened her mouth but an inaudible squeak was the only sound that escaped. He smirked; his eyes gleamed with mischief.

"You—You're—What are you doing in my mirror?" It wasn't till Reyna asked the question that she realized how dumb it sounded.

The reflection was quick to answer, impatience molding on his daunting face. "Dense wench. I am Mundus, known amongst all demons."

She gaped.

The male's irritation evolved to anger. "Your native language is English, correct? Are you not able to comprehend my words?"

Reyna imitated a fish before she found her voice. "You can speak other languages?"

He snarled in frustration and his exposed fangs caused her to yelp.

"Cease your noise. It is an annoyance." He spoke in a way that said he was used to giving orders.

She backed away from the mirror until Mundus's reflection couldn't be seen. No. This isn't real. This can't be real. Am I still dreaming?

"Do your thoughts ever cease?" the demon's disembodied voice said, clear as the thoughts in her head.

That was when Reyna realized that he was in her head.

"You can read my thoughts?" she whispered, afraid of the answer.

"To my ever dismay." He sighed.

She frowned, another headache forming. " Ever dismay? Who talks like that?"

But his voice. It sounds familiar.

Reyna felt him smirk. It was an odd sensation, seeing something without seeing it. She pushed it away as she remembered the dream she had when she was at the nurse's office. A voice had spoken, talking about a realm and slumber. And something about waking up stronger.