Chapter 35 - Sadistic's Story

35.

Sadistic's Story

When Reyna woke up, her arm resembled lead and felt useless. She looked at it, frustrated, and shook it off as sleep numbness that would rub off soon. She sat up on the mattress and checked the time on the digital clock that rested on the small bureau next to her bed. It wasn’t that late yet. With a yawn, Reyna reached under her pillow to pull out a small hand mirror. Weary, dark blue eyes stared back at her through a frizz of black hair.

“What a mess.” She stuffed the mirror away.

There was a knock on the room’s closed door followed by a male sweetly speaking, “Reyna?”

His voice was nauseatingly familiar. Her stomach stirred to the point of bursting. For a chest binding moment, a rush of fear impaled her. Reyna’s vision failed her as a fuzzy silhouette of…someone began to take over. It all quickly went away.

She inhaled deeply, patting her legs and chest with both hands. Her sore arm throbbed with the action.

“Reyna?” The voice persisted bringing a new spell of dizziness. She swallowed it away before speaking.

“Hold on,” she said as she swayed to the door. She opened it and came face to face with an almost mirror image of herself. His face, though very much like her own, was also very different. They shared the same sharp chin and cheekbones, but while Reyna’s face seemed to possess a feathered finishing touch, her twin brother’s face was framed with constant shadows and dark undertones. They locked eyes. Two pairs of dark sapphires.

“What?” Reyna looked away. How silly to suddenly be afraid of her own brother. This entire day started off weird. It was probably only the fog of an unremembered nightmare that clung to her. It was successfully pushed away.

Ram smiled, his blue eyes sparkling mischievously as if sensing her new state of mind. “You look terrible, little sister. Hurry up and get ready. The bus will be here in half an hour.”

Reyna groaned. “But my clock says I have an hour! Did you mess with it again?”

He playfully smirked.

She lightly punched him. “Jerk. Why didn’t you wake me up earlier? I don’t know if I can get ready in time now.”

“I tried to wake you up, but you just rolled over like a little sleepy puppy.”

She snorted. “Whatever.”

“How’s your arm?” he asked, eyes gleaming.

Briefly, that eerie feeling vibrated through Reyna again. She rubbed her numb arm. “Better I think, but how’d you know I woke up with my arm hurting?”

He smiled. “Mystical twin connection.”

She cocked a skeptical eyebrow at him.

“Okay so you were complaining about it in your sleep when I tried to wake you up earlier.” He laughed. “It should go away. You were sleeping on it all weird.”

“Yeah, whatever,” Reyna said as she teasingly pushed him away to close the door and change. After doing so, she kicked her pajamas under her bed for later laundry retrieval. She walked to her chiffonier, picked up her hair brush, and gazed at the hanging mirror.

Her reflection wasn’t there. A male face that was dark in essence with a cocky grin on his lips was shown instead. Reyna felt a jumble of hated and love at the sight of that smirk. The image was quickly replaced by her bewildered appearance. She hesitantly tapped the mirror before quickly brushing her hair, eager to leave the room.