Chapter 5 - Separately Together

5.

Separately Together

The mirror reflected a handsome individual with midnight features. His eyes, partly hidden behind stray strands of dark hair, peered into the blue orbs of another. The inked fingers gushed out into the endless ocean, suppressing the waves with darkness until all that remained was a shiny, black pool. And like a mirror, it reflected all so that the darkness could see below the surface, inhaling all of the ocean's secrets. Then, the darkness left and the suffocating ocean resumed its current, unaware that what it protected had been stolen.

Mundus paused, absorbing what he had just discovered. He had suspected such an entity of power was hidden inside Reyna. It was an essence closely related to hers. It's what was keeping him from digging further into Reyna's core. He had secretly exploited enough of her that Reyna didn't even know about herself.

A wisp of guilt tinged him.

"You know, it's so much better talking to you this way," Reyna said. She was holding a small circular hand mirror in front of her as she sat on her bed's fluffy comforter.

Mundus lifted an eyebrow at her words, pushing his thoughts of Reyna away.

She saw his action and smiled. "It makes me feel less crazy."

"I doubt your sanity's composure existed," Mundus answered from the mirror with a smirk meant to irritate her. To his surprise, Reyna laughed. He found himself enjoying the vibrations of her voice as she chuckled.

"It's also nice to see your facial expressions as they play along with your words and emotions."

Mundus remained silent at her curious words before a small smile broke on his lips. She was quite easy to read. Though access to her thoughts were freely available to him, Mundus hardly ventured into deeper aspects of her mind. He was more in tune with her emotions anyhow, and at the moment, he was consumed with her bubbling enthusiasm to ask him something.

"Even so," the demon said, "you carry no desire to simply 'talk.' Quickly ask of your true intention."

Reyna blushed, something that Mundus found himself enjoying as well. "Wha-What do you mean?"

"Do not avoid such truths. I am capable of deciphering you quite well. It is obvious you wish to inquire something of me."

"Um...well...I...Well, you're a guy, right?"

Again Mundus lifted an inquiring eyebrow. If anything, she was equally frustrating as she was entertaining. "If by 'guy' you convey 'of male gender' my response is yes."

"Come on, don't make fun of me! It's hard enough to ask you this. Not to mention embarrassing." Reyna's blush had overtaken her face.

A small smile played on his lips. He was well aware of what question floated in her mind; however, he sought to hear it escape from her nervous lips. Mundus was surprised at how much fun he was having making this mortal squirm.

Unaware of Mundus' taunting grin, Reyna set the mirror on her bed, using the wall the mattress rested next to as a support. Mundus was able to see Reyna standing in the middle of her room.

"Um." Reyna awkwardly placed her arms by her side. "Do I look okay in this dress?"

Mundus' small smile evolved into an all-out fang bearing laugh, satisfaction warmly flooding him.

"Hey!" Reyna reddened once more. "I told you not to make fun of me! Mundus!"

The black, spaghetti strap dress clung to her body quite well. The thick, dark fabric draped delicately around her, the hem gently stoking her legs well above her knees. Her black high heeled shoes only added to the luscious effect her longs legs offered.