Chapter 21 - Frozen

21.

Frozen

It was the last Monday of the school year and the year’s final tests were scheduled for that week. However, students that had reached a high enough end of the year grade average were exempt from them. While their lesser motivated peers were taking exams, the more applied pupils were to be housed in the gymnasium with multiple forms of entertainment until school’s last ringing bell. Reyna and Dante were among one of the students that were exempt and while one believed the week to come was going to be quality time well spent, the other harbored opposite thoughts.

The two were walking down the empty morning hallway, heading into the crowded cafeteria that contained groggy students waiting for the morning bell to ring. Rows of turquoise lockers passed them by as they neared their destination. They trudged on in silence, their footsteps softly echoing.

“Dante,” Reyna slowly spoke. Her voice oddly vibrated between the lockers. “I wanna walk home today after school.” She paused. “And for the rest of the week.”

Dante stopped walking. She did too. They stood, quiet. A pair of anxious, emerald eyes peered into the features of Reyna that would not face him. He nervously shifted the backpack that hung on his shoulder with a single strap. “What?”

Reyna took a deep breath, held it, and bit her lip. Closing her eyes for a brief moment, she quietly exhaled. “Dante, I don’t think we should be together anymore.”

The heaviness which suddenly arose between them felt intense enough to physically push them away. They simultaneously stepped back from each other. Dante still kept his eyes on Reyna even though she still refused to look at him.

“Dante,” Reyna spoke to the floor. “I–”

“No,” he said softly but it echoed surprisingly loud in the empty hallway. “I thought you trusted me. I thought you felt that you could tell me anything.” He then turned from her and walked away.

Reyna watched as he left, quiet sobs hiccupping out of her. She leaned on the nearby wall of lockers and relished their cool surface on her face.

“Why do you continue your weep? Is such not what you desired?” Mundus finally spoke. He had promised to remain silent during the break up. However, he had observed it with great interest and satisfaction. For the sake of Reyna’s delicate state, he chose not to voice his smug joy.

Reyna shook her head. We’ve been friends for a long time. I don’t think we can even be that now. I don’t know how I’m going to get through this week.

“Simply do not attend this facility.”

Not come to school? I can’t do that!

“Cease such complaints then.”

Reyna did, too tired to argue, and dragged herself to the cafeteria, taking a seat alone by one of the lesser occupied tables. Soon, the morning bell rung and, eventually, the exempt students were released to the gym after their attendance had been noted and submitted.

The gym was decorated in an almost pep rally fashion with classroom made posters congratulating the graduating seniors. The bleacher seats were pulled out from both sides of the walls. Giant flat screen TVs faced them, playing the latest action, romantic, or comedy DVD release –depending on which TV you chose to watch. Scattered on the floor were multiple metal tables and chairs. Propped on them were various board games and packs of playing cards.