Chapter 29 - The Coldest Room

29.

The Coldest Room

The strange group of demons, Spirits, and a single human had been traveling for what felt like days. Enveloped with an eternally black sky that possessed no cosmic bodies, the sense of time was open ended. The only marking of its passage was the sleep that settled upon them.

Currently, Reyna was sprawled on the grass under such a spell. One arm was cradled under her head as a pillow, and her body was tucked in and hugging itself. Mundus was asleep as well, yards away from her. He was under a modestly big tree, nestled between two giant roots that cradled him like fingers. Lina lazed on one of the branches above him, keeping true to her twenty feet plus distance. Immune to the lure of sleep, she was happily humming as she chewed on the abundant leaves. It was when she started “lalala-ing” that Mundus woke up. Irritated, he stood up from his bark bed to join the wide awake Erian.

“It seems your sleep routine is still the same as hers,” Erian said, aware of the moon demon’s awakening.

“Indeed. However, it diffuses with the passage of time,” Mundus answered as he walked towards the Seer, passing by Reyna as he went. He briefly gazed at her. She was still draped in the bloody clothes from the battle that felt from so long ago. They all were. Though most of the demonic blood that once ornamented their skin had rubbed off, some of the darker decorations had crawled deep under their skins and kept a dull existence.

“Has the Temple’s whereabouts been located? I tire of such uneventful lingering,” Mundus said once he stood next to his companion. He scrutinized the horizon as if trying to find the answer for himself.

Erian did not reply. Mundus glared at him and sighed, keen on the reason of his silence. Erian’s eyes were entirely white as he continued his search, but such was not why he hadn’t acknowledged Mundus’ words. Erian was participating in another conversation: one between him and his weapon Spirit. Hardly seen, Erian always ordered her stay in his weapon. That way, their discussions would remain private through their mental connection all demons and their respective Spirits shared.

Lend me some more of your essence. I need to find this Temple faster, Erian mentally ordered.

“Oh, Erian. Does the human girl’s presence irritate you that much? The voice that answered was quite feminine and accented with a friendly manner.

Yes, he admitted, but at least she is not as loud as the other annoyance.

“She will be reunited with Mundus soon and you will not have to worry about her.”

 Which is why I hope to locate this all the sooner.

She chuckled. “Erian, if I give you any more power, I will not be able to stay awake.”

He quieted for a moment and then gave a small smile. No need. I have found it.

His white eyes greyed back to their cool, silver color. Now that the Temple had been found, its rediscovery would be instantaneous. All needed now was the Summoner.

Erian was about to report his findings but frowned when he noticed Mundus was no longer standing by him. His scowl deepened when he saw where he was. The moon demon was sitting next to Reyna. With one arm propped on his raised knee, he was simply looking at her. It was the first in quite some time that they were so near.

Mundus’ gaze tried to remain inexpressible, but there was a sense of neglected desire in his eyes. He wanted to caress her, but knew it would be best not to. So engrossed and almost sorrowful looking did he appear that Erian refrained from talking for a few second as not to disturb. It was unnecessary, for Mundus noticed him.