Chapter 13 - Verses From the Past - Part I

13.

Verses From the Past

It was warm and enlightening at first. Smooth and pleasurable, like bathing in a humid hot spring. The sun’s morning rays seeped through Reyna’s open blinds and curtain and stroked her skin. As they heated with the morning’s chill passing, the welcoming sensation soon evolved to sharp, impaling needles that seeped into her skin.

Reyna woke up, feeling slightly toasted. She immediately threw the covers off. Something brushed against her leg, and an icy chill devoured her entire thigh. Startled, she sat up to see Mundus’ sword gleam at her. Groggy, she mindlessly shoved it under the cool darkness of her bed before it fell into fits of annoying shrieking. Indifferently, she flopped back onto the bed. After a few seconds, she jolted back up and reached for the mirror that was resting in her drawer. Immediately, Mundus’ slightly puzzled look appeared on the smooth glass.

Yes?” he inquired, lifting up his right eyebrow. He smiled, entertained by Reyna’s bewildered awakening.

She narrowed her eyes at him, all fatigue leaving her. “You could have killed me!”

This time the demon’s head tilted to the side in slight mockery, beckoning her angry words in an obvious ruse to rile her. Her exaggerated outbursts and scolding words were adorable. Words he had not heard in months. Indeed, he had missed them; however, that was something he would not allow her to know. “I do not understand your aggravation.”

“The sword!” Reyna spewed, unaware of Mundus’ jeering. “You left it with me while I slept! I could have turned weird during the middle of the night and it could have stabbed me if the angling was right!”

Mundus chuckled, thoroughly entertained. “You fret at such nonsense.”

“Hey!” Reyna raised her voice. “I could have died and you’re laughing?

“Your death did not occur, did it?”

“No, but still! If I did it would have been your fault! Good luck trying to find another body to be your host!”

“The truth of the matter remains as so.”

Reyna pouted. “Just don’t leave your sword with me while I sleep anymore, okay?”

“Indeed. Such a dangerous feat could well direct towards the death of an individual,” he grinned, amused beyond satisfaction.

She exploded. “Now you’re just making fun of me!”

“Reyna,” Amon’s voice was followed by a knock on the closed door. His thick yet almost silent tone vibrated through out the room as if it was an earthquake. “I recommend you come downstairs and eat. You need to eat to keep up both your strengths.”

Fear crawled up Reyna’s spine at his words: both your strengths.

“Ah,” she shuddered, making her words shake. “Thuh–Thank you, Uncle Amon.”

His response was immediate. “I thought I had requested you to just call me Amon, Reyna.”

“Um, sorry. I forgot. I’ll be right down!”

“See that you do.” His heavy footsteps as were heard fading away on the thick hallway carpet.

Her rage at Mundus subdued, Reyna placed the mirror away and closed her window blinds that had allowed the morning’s sun rays to awaken her. The room dimmed but enough light still penetrated through for Reyna to see.

 “To be honest, I’m not that hungry. I rather—” she quickly cut herself off, forcing her words and thoughts to dwell away from the subject she was about to speak off. Her caution was in vain.