Chapter 18 - Almost the Truth

18.

Almost the Truth

The atmosphere thickened into a crushing force. Her strength zapped, Reyna had to place her free hand on the white, cool fridge to maintain her balance. “What?” she managed to say.

Dante did not hesitate to repeat himself. “Who is Mundus? Is this some weird reference to that character from our English story we read?”

Reyna panicked. “I…What are you talking about?”

“Kris. He called me last night before he–!”

The name caused both of them to fall silent, each for their own reason.

Dante sighed, hesitant to continue the conversation, but he did. “Before he died, Kris called my cell last night. He said to ask you about a guy named Mundus.”

Reyna’s heart momentarily stopped. Speechless for several seconds, she finally decided on what she was going to do. What she should have done. “Dante,” she at last spoke. “I think you should come over. How about tonight?”

~*~*~

It had been a rather stiff and sad dinner. The table’s talk circled around Kris’s death. Dante filled the air with memories of him. Mrs. Felix, horrified at the event, kept a comforting hand on the miserable teenager. Mr. Felix’s heart, too, slightly melted for Dante’s tragedy, and he decided to leave his array of questions for another day. Even Amon, who remained quiet during most of the supper, mumbled his condolences.

“He was my best friend,” Dante had said.

It was all too excruciating for Reyna. She hardly ate, for action caused her to fall into a fit of shakes. Each word that related to Kris ushered a creeping sensation across her skin, but it was nothing compared to the searing information that still floated in her head. Nervous glances were given to her parents. Her Magika gifted parents. They had to remain unaware of it all. It would be too much if they knew the truth of what was going on. Of themselves. They would only serve as possible casualties.

Thus, Reyna suffered alone.

Out of habit, her nervous hand went up to clasp her necklace. Her hand met with cloth instead. It had been a difficult task, but Reyna had been able to tuck the necklace behind her shirt. It seemed the necklace only reacted to an organic touch. It was why it was not retaliating to the blouse.

The clank of piling dishes sharply rang in the air as Mrs. Felix began to pick them up. She gave a small frown when she saw Reyna’s food-filled one.

“You didn’t eat, honey,” she said.

“No,” Reyna sighed in response. “I just–”

“It’s okay, honey,” Mr. Felix said to his wife and then addressed to Reyna, “You and Dante are dismissed if you wish to talk alone.”

Kathy looked at her husband with surprise. A smile then erupted on her lips. He gave her a small shrug.

“Allow me to help,” Amon said as he stood and took the plates from his sister’s hands. He took them to the sink and began scraping the leftover food scraps into the garbage disposal.

Reyna and Dante took up Mr. Felix’s offer. They made their way to the study room’s small love seat. It was then that Reyna realized her courage was failing her. She had invited Dante over with the determination of tell him, but she wasn’t so sure about her decision now.