Chapter 10 - A Sword's Hunger

10.

A Sword's Hunger

Reyna took in a long breath. "Blood?" she softly echoed.

Mundus grimaced at her word. He had revealed more than he wished to. It was essential he exposed no more. I have discovered imperative tidings concerning your mortal uncle, he spoke, trying to steer away from the subject of his weapon.

She refused to follow. "Your sword. How does it get the blood?"

He constrains his power-

"Is it when you stab someone?"

Upon your mortal parents-

"When you kill someone?"

I caution-

"HOW?"

The stillness was alien. Mundus closed his eyes and was dismayed by what he saw. Pleading tears were spilling down Reyna's face.

"Reyna," Mundus whispered. "It is not-"

"How?" she whispered.

Bowing his head, Mundus spoke out loud, "Upon each killing of a human with the use of the blade. The slashes apiece literally drain the opponent's blood. Upon the human's death does the sword extract the energy and convert it into its own."

Reyna blinked, causing her rimmed tears to fall. Mundus opened his eyes to avoid seeing the pain that streaked across her face. A face he irritably found himself growing so fond of in such a short amount of time. It was because of her that this was happening.

"Let's go get your sword." Reyna's words emerged hard. It was as if she hadn't even spoken them.

Mundus' head snapped up. His hands went down by his sides to grasp the mattress's edge. What nonsense do you speak of?

"Switch back. I'll get your sword. We'll sneak into his room while he's asleep." Her voice sounded distant.

Obviously such ploy of sleep is a deception. What is to halt his intentions of killing you once you cross into his quarters?

Her sudden burst of determination faltered. "Killing me?"

He sighed. Yes. Such are his intentions I registered from his flare of Magika.

"Magika? What you said that before at the party."

Mundus growled, angry at himself at allowing another slip of information to a world she was better off not knowing.

"I don't care if he wants to kill me," Reyna said. As much as her curiosity burned to understand what Mundus meant, she did not want to deviate from the subject.

Mundus stood from the bed and pulled out the mirror that resided under the pillow. He glared at the reflected image that held Reyna's oddly hardened expression. "You foolish, little wench! Do you not value your own life?"

She returned the glower. "Do you want your sword back or not?"

He fumed at her, unable to comprehend her scalding aspiration of salvaging his sword. "Indeed. However, other-"

"Then let me do this for you!"

The conviction that ran in her voice silenced him, but Mundus continued to leer at her with uncertainty. She answered him with that unwavering determined look.

She had finally fully accepted something that had been resided inside of her. It was a bubbling emotion, still young, but it was the beginnings of a strong fruition towards something more. Its discovery was seething from her, and it was felt and recognized by both of them.