Chapter 2: Alvin and the Big Wide World

It was late evening. The sun was setting for the day, and I was busy at the Ol' Quartz, collecting stone dust into a basket below. But my mind and heart wasn't in my work. As I was meticulously chipping away at the stone, my mind continued to drift to the event that happened that morning.

Skeletons... Giant skeletons... I couldn't have just imagined that right? How long had they been in this forest, and I didn't even know? How close have I gotten to encountering one of them before, without even realizing it? Are they dangerous? Do I want to risk the chance finding out?

Okay [Y/N], calm down, I tell myself. Running my mind in circles isn't going to get anything accomplished. I wipe the sweat off my brow, with my hand, and look down at my work below. The basket is over flowing with stone dust... woops. Must have gone a bit over board when I wasn't paying attention.

I carefully climb down the rock, down to the basket. I grab it and start slowly dragging it towards my wagon. It was a struggle getting it into the wagon, with how over filled it was, but I managed. With that done, I grab the wagon and start heading back to the village.

❤❤❤❤♡❤❤❤❤

It was later in the evening than usual, when I finally make it back to the village. Just barely making it back before dark. A lot of the bitties I passed by seemed relieved to see me, I guess they were worried when I didn't show up at my usual time, which was understandable.

I make it back to my goosepen, get cleaned up, and get to work preparing the food and silk. Everyone lined up to get their share as usual. And as usual, Alvin probed me with questions, when it was his turn in line.

"Did anything cool happen today!?" he asks excitedly, "Did you fight off anymore squirrels? Or a fox? Or a crow?"

"One question at a time kid, jeez." I berate them, "And no. Fortunately I didn't have any mishaps with predators today."

"Aw man..." he wines, "No cool stories today?"

"Now, I didn't say that." I said mischievously, as I handed him his food, "I was out earlier today than usual, and you would not believe what I saw."

Alvin gasps, "What!? What was it!? What was it!?"

"Giant skeletons." I reveal, moving my hand dramatically.

Alvin's eyes grow as big as saucers as I continue, "And not just any giant skeletons. These skeletons could walk and talk."

"No way!" Alvin cries with disbelief, "You're messing with me."

"Nope," I say with certainty, "I'm telling the truth. Trust me, I could barely believe it myself when I first saw them. Scared me half to death."

"Whoa." he says in awe.

But I shoo him away, "Okay, that's enough story time. You're holding up the line as usual. Now get."

Satisfied, Alvin doesn't protest this time, and scurries off with his goods. I continue servicing the line as usual. The glass making bitties were especially happy with how much quartz dust I had brought, so I guess my slip up was a good thing.

Once that was done, I closed up shop, got out my loom, and started working with the silk, to make Elisa-mae's dress. I had been working on it for a while, when there was a knock at the entrance.

"Come in." I called out.

And in came the Elder with his daughter.

"Good evening [Y/N]," the Elder greeted, "Was today a successful harvest, as usual?"