Chapter 8: Alette, the myth, the legend!

I wake up to the sounds of birds chirping, a dream about giant smiling skeletons fading to the recesses of my mind, soon to be forgotten. I slowly get out of my nest, minding my injuries. I wash up, the best I could, and get dressed for the day. I was about to put on my gear, when I remember we still had way more food, and there was no need to gather more today. Not that I would have been able to climb any trees with my leg any way...

Not knowing what else to do, but also not just wanting to stand idly with nothing to do, I step outside of my goosepen. Many other Bitties are out and about, getting ready for their day. And I see some already starting to gather for the morning ritual. Speaking of, when was the last time I attended one? It would have been before I started learning the ropes of being a gatherer. Dad always made sure we were up bright and early.

I head back inside for a quick breakfast, before making my way to the village center. That's where the ritual is usually held. By the time I reached the stomp, there was already a crowd. Many of the other Bitties glance at me curiously, probably cause most of them have probably never seen me attend before.

"[Y/N]!?" I hear a familiar young voice call out.

I look around until my eyes spotted Alvin, who was sitting with the rest of his classmates, and waving for me to join them. I return the wave as I make my way over and sit by him.

"Well, at least I won't really stand out much, sitting with you guys." I say casually.

Alvin just laughs, "Yeah, you could probably pass as one of my classmates!"

"Hey!" I shout in mock offence, as I playfully smack him in the arm, "Don't you know how to talk to a lady? Rude!"

Alvin cocked his head to the side confused, "Why would talking to a lady be any different than when I talk to anybody else?"

I just give him a pat on the head and say, "You'll learn when you're older."

He playfully smacks my hand away with a huff, and I just laugh at the little pouty face he makes. During this exchange, one of Alvin's classmates, not so subtly, inched their way closer to us.

"Hey," they call out to get our attention, "aren't you that lady that was with the giant skeletons, yesterday?"

Alvin and I glance at each other briefly before I answer, "Yeah...?"

"What was it like being that high up!?" they ask.

"Weren't you scared?" another further off asked.

"Well, to answer your first question, I was pretty high up, but that was no where near as high as when I have to climb trees for food." I answered, "Then again, it's kind of hard to compare, since unlike trees, they weren't stationary..."

"And to answer the second one," I continue, "of course I was scared! I just woke up surrounded by giant talking skeletons, who wouldn't be scare!?"

"But you didn't look scared." the first one interjected.

"Sure, after getting to know them, and realizing they had no intent to harm me, I calmed down." I retorted, "And Alvin was scared of them too, until he saw them use their 'cool' magic."

"Hey!" Alvin tried to complain for calling him out, but the others weren't paying any attention.

"So when they made you glow and lifted you to the ground, that was really magic?" One asked, "And when they floated down the rock?"

"Yup!" I happily confirmed.

There were gasps of Oohs and Ahhs throughout the group of young'ns. Another child raised their hand before asking, "Aren't you usually gathering food right now? You never come to morning ritual."