Chapter 3: Spooky Scary Skeletons

Fortunately we didn't encounter any predators, much to Alvin's dismay. But, even with Alvin's help it takes longer than anticipated to gather the food and materials. It was getting late, the sun almost set. But fortunately we had already been heading back to the village, and were getting close.

"Hurry up Alvin," I call out behind me, "it's starting to get really dark. The sooner we get back to the village, the better."

Alvin hops off the stone he had been climbing and hurries to catch up, "I'm coming, I'm coming!"

I just shake my head as he moves to walk beside me. For a while we just walk down the forest path in silence. The only sounds being heard were the grass rustling in the light breeze, and the crickets starting to chirp.

I stop in my tracks at the sound of Alvin's gasp. But when I turn in his direction, I just see him standing their looking up in awe. I look up as well, to see what had gotten him so excited... Ah... The fireflies have come out early this year. I watch as they fly over head, lighting up the late evening sky.

I turn my attention back to Alvin, "Come on Alvin... we don't have time for this..."

"Are those fireflies?" he asks as he moves to catch up again.

"Yup." I confirm.

"Wow!" he says in awe, "I've only heard about them from the stories the Elders tell us."

I don't even bother trying to rush the child. This is his first time outside the village. Everything is a new experience, so it should not be a surprise that he's excited by every little thing. But it's getting darker by the minute, and we should get back to the safety of the village as soon as possible.

The sound of a twig snapping causes me to pause for a second time. And I quickly grab hold of Alvin and bring him close to me.

"Wha-" he begins to say.

"Shh!" I hush, as I glance around my surroundings. I don't see anything, so I listen. I hear the crickets. I hear the grass shifting in the breeze. But there is something else: The sound of steps, slowly getting closer. And it's way bigger than a squirrel...

"Run." I say quietly.

"Wait, wha-" Alvin starts but gets cut off when he's pulled by my tight grip on his arm, when I start running.

And not a moment too soon, cause where we were just moment before pounced a fox. Alvin screams upon seeing it, but I don't bother to look back and keep running. Normally bitties can move pretty fast, but dragging a child bitty and a wagon, filled to the brim with food, definitely is slowing me down.

I weave and dodge as the fox continues to try to pounce on us. I manage to dodge, but barely. I spot a small hollow log, just small enough for the fox to not fit through, and duck inside. That doesn't stop the fox from trying though. Alvin screams again and clings to me when it's paw got just a bit too close for comfort.

After taking a few deep breathes, I pry the child off of me and stand him upright. The kid's eyes are blown wide with a thousand yard stare, and he's starting to hyperventilate.

"Hey, hey!" I shout as I give him a good shake, "Snap out of it kid! I need you to stay with me here!"

I stumble as the log shakes from the fox attempting to get us from inside again. Alvin is shaking, and muttering to himself in a panic. 'Whatdowedowhatdowedowhatdowedo!?' I grab hold of him and force him to look at me.

"Alvin, I need you to listen to me." I state firmly, "I need you to take the wagon, and run as fast as you can to the village."

"B-B-B-But-" he stammers.